Allowing Teenagers To Vote Is...... This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Should teenagers vote? Allowing teenagers to vote is not smart. Teenagers might make the wrong decisions; they don’t have to pay taxes, and are just becoming mature.

To begin with, teens from 13-17 should not start voting. For example, they might make the wrong choices. Teens don’t care about who’s president, they care about fun. All they know about the debates are what they’re parents told them. And if people give them the right they’re just going to guess. Also teens can’t think like adults can. So teens should do what’s right and not vote if they’re not sure. That’s why teens shouldn’t vote.

Another reason teens shouldn’t vote is because teens don’t have to pay taxes and pay bills like adults do. To support my reason for thinking this is because teens don’t have to pay bills and taxes, so why should they get the right to do anything. They don’t take care of themselves; their parents take care of them. And then their parents are going to have to take them to the polls, unless they live close. Plus they could be doing more and important things then voting. Also, many teens are in full education, and don’t need to get caught up worrying about presidents, debates, polls, and stuff like that. And they’re not and independent adult. In conclusion, that’s the reason why teens shouldn’t start voting.

Also, teens shouldn’t vote cause they might not have reached maturity. To start with, teens don’t completely understand and they might be voting for the wrong reason. Their teachers might not educate them enough about politics and the world enough for them to start voting. Adults should be the only ones eligible to make adult decisions. When voting you have to look at different perspectives, teens should be focusing on different things. However, that’s why teens from 13-17 should not be eligible to vote.

It is not wise to let adolescents start to vote. For instance the wrong decision they might make. Also, paying bills and taxes aren’t for teens. And lastly, they might make imprudent decision. Vote. Why? Folks fight. For this right. It's not just a word: Vote! It's how you make your voice heard.

DjakobUnchainedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21 at 9:25 am:
I completely disagree with this argument. Teens are required to follow the law and many laws are directed towards them. I believe 16 and 17 year olds should have a vote in elections so that they can be introduced to their democracy.

5254 said...
Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:58 am:
this helped thanks

WarriorPuellaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I see what you mean, but there were two things I didn't quite understand/agree with.  First of all, this was written as a persuasive essay.  Who are you trying to persuade?  The law states that anyone under the age of 18 CANNOT legally vote, and I don't think anyone's trying to change that. Also, while the majority of teens are oblivious or don't care, I can honestly say that I am neither.  I watch debates with my parents, enjoy them, and learn from them.&nb... (more »)

WarriorPuellaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm :
Also, I meant to say this before, who's to say that adults won't make the wrong decision.  It's a personal choice; is there really a right or wrong, other than according to our own morals? Not to be offensive, just food for thought. ;-)

. said...
Oct. 30, 2012 at 8:01 am:
Some points of this argument are valid, however most statements that are presented as facts are generalizations. For example, "Teens don't care about who's the president, they care about fun". Although I agree that teens shouldn't be allowed to vote, this persuasive essay was not produced in a fashion that could've persuaded me either way.

Tinyclaw said...
Parts of this article do make sense, such as the point about teenagers not taking care of themselves and not having full brain development resulting in bad decisions and reckless behavior. However, most of this article, you offer no facts to base your arguement off of, just your opinion. For example, saying that a teenager does not have their own political opinion, moreover does not care is not true. Saying that they do not understand political issues is false. Also, I believe that the teenagers... (more »)

Quispiam said...
I agree with you 90% percent of the way. Your right about most teens who only listen to their parents and act like they know all about politics.  Besides those people I used to live in DC and talking to my old friends from there now.. These kinds have full political opinions that, sometimes, are completely opposite of there parents.. Any way I think you wrote it well, although I agree with BrightBurningCampeador, you would be alot better if you were more subtle.

Caleb.Andrews said...
Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:16 am:
I absolutely agree with your premise. However, there are too many generalizations in this. My parents don't tell me anything about political debates; I watch them. There are far more important things in the world than fun, and I realize that (it's common sense really). If I had the right to vote (which, again, I don't want), I would not simply "guess". It should not be the duty of the teachers or even parents to educate about politics. The most profound learning should be s... (more »)

MissInkslinger said...
Aug. 25, 2012 at 8:31 am:
Most adults don't take voting as seriously as they should. I can't imagine teenagers whose main concerns in life are zits and boyfriends, taking the time to make a well informed decision.

BrightBurningCampeadorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This article might have been more convincing if it had been a bit more subtle. For example, you ended every paragraph with that's why teens should not vote. That just strikes me as rather heavy-handed.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:26 pm:
First off, none of this is meant in any offensive way; some of your points just hit me pretty hard. You claim that since teens are in full education, they "have more and important stuff to do" and "don't need to worry about presidents and debates and stuff" than voting. However, I fail to see how this makes sense. What's more important than the laws that govern our lives and the rules of the society in which we live? In addition, education is of the most benefit if one puts it to work. To learn... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jul. 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm:

I can't say I agree with you, but this is a decent article with decent supporting points.

But you really can't generalize teenagers.  I don't know how it is in America, but in Canda some young people do care about the government and who is Prime Minister.  The laws our government make effect teenagers, not just adults.  That said, there are also stupid teenagers who care nothing about government.  You can't make huge generalizations.

MarieAntoinette2012 replied...
Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:56 am :
Same way in America too. I'm one who does I care about the President....

Archangel1410 said...
Youd be suprised about how wrong you are.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm :
I dont agree with most of this article but i thought you should know that the brain isnt fully developed until 21 years of age 

A voter said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 7:39 am:

There is no "wrong decision". It's all opinionated really. I understand that you wrote this in seventh grade, but still.

Teens do pay taxes, such as state taxes and those who have jobs also pay taxes.

Lastly, most points you gave could be said about adults also. If adults don't vote, then who will?

JacobMeeks said...
You're right, teens don't pay taxes. But they also cannot vote for the laws that they can be arrested for.

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2010 at 2:39 pm:
You make way to many broad generalizations. for example. "teens dont care about whos president, they care about fun." 

dsffafdg replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:04 am :
THAT IS NOT TURE!!!!!!!! we have as much rights as u do. we need to vote. the youth is tomorrows adults

iwanttobeforeveryoung said...
May 12, 2010 at 10:00 pm:

This is ridiculous.  Everything you said can apply to fully grown adults with only half a brain cell.  

There should be mental ability tests to gain the right to vote.