Obama’s State of the Union Address: The Cheering or Frowning Cardboard Cutouts

Although I am a few years away from being able to vote, I can promise anyone right now that I will declare independence. I watched Obama’s State of the Union Address on Wednesday night and noticed that the whole room, Democrats on one side and Republicans on the other, was full of a bunch of children shooting spit balls and throwing water balloons at each other, with lollypops in hand and those cute little propeller hats on their heads. It was ridiculous!

Both parties, Republicans and Democrats, used symbolic speech (standing and cheering or sitting and frowning), to represent if they agreed or disagreed with the presidents proposed actions. I’m fine with this. The problem is that the Republicans represented in unison what they like or disliked, and the Democrats represented in unison what they like or disliked. Is this not a problem?

Symbolically, these men and women told me that there are only two views in Congress: the collective view of Democrats, and the collective view of Republicans.
Where were the individuals, the independents? Where was that one strong man or woman who could stand as those around him/her sat, deepening their wrinkles caused from frowning so much?

Why do we vote for these “individuals”, who are supposed to have their own personal views and methods, if in the end, they are either just going to vote with the Democrats, or just with the Republicans. When we vote, the only question that needs to be asked is: Do I want the standard Democrat, or do I want the standard Republican?

tdnarb said...
May 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm:
I completely agree.  Good write!

JeanGrey said...
*claps* Humor and valid political view! Nice one!