Why Obama's Health Care Plan will fail | Teen Ink

Why Obama's Health Care Plan will fail

April 11, 2010
By msv13 GOLD, New City, New York
msv13 GOLD, New City, New York
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Countless voices call the Obama health plan an act of socialism. Maybe that’s why several Americans voiced out against this plan, in their attempt to keep what is left of the nation’s democracy. The goal of the health care bill, which was passed on March 23rd 2010, aimed to fix the problems that affect the health care system in America. Through this plan, every person in America would have healthcare coverage. So why is it so objectionable?
For many Americans, the implementation of the government’s role in health care was unnecessary and unneeded. Now, America will be set to join the other countries, such as Canada and other European nations, who have failed to do what we are trying to do: providing quality health coverage for all. The general frustration of a government-run healthcare system will be applied, and most Americans will be worse off than before.
This expansion of coverage to 32 million more Americans won’t be implemented until 2014. One will not know how effective these reforms play out for at least a few decades. As Obama said, “It’ll take four years to implement fully many of these reforms because we need to implement them responsibly.” The problem won’t be fixed immediately, so many altercations and changes may be made.
Over the next decade, the plan would cost an estimated $350 billion on funding for low and middle class income groups. The low-income earners may still strain their budget even after their insurance is provided. On the contrary to what people may think, there is no decree indicating that this coverage will be free and painless for them.
For small business employers, the reparations may be a little more brutal. After 2014, small business owners are only allowed to have two years of tax credits to help them purchase coverage for their employees. And for the employers who have over 50 employees, they would have to pay a penalty or provide benefits for them.
What drives people farther from this plan is the quality offered as well. With this plan at hand, the elimination of hospitals and doctors may be implemented in order to fit the budget. One would start to expect very long lines at hospitals as well as weaker quality from doctors and other medical practitioners. One is to be sure that there will be a lack of sophisticated medical equipment and a rise of taxes for many of the wealthier people. With this legislation, seniors who have Medicare Advantage plans with benefits such as eye care and hearing aids will have to get rid of these benefits as well as they come at an extra cost. The cuts being produced are cuts of more than $150 billion, so one should not expect to get first-class benefits. As a result, fewer choices will be available for the American people.
In any case, the 2400 page legislation had me thinking: Does the government expect us to know exactly what it proposed? The bill seems so exhaustive, that one should not expect that all Americans would know what is behind every clause. I can even argue that some of the backers of the plan don’t know exactly who this plan will affect. With the amount of controversy that surrounds this plan, the question has to be asked: Is this necessary? In the state that the country is in, providing low-budget health care at the expense of tax payers shouldn’t be obligatory, as this situation stirs up more controversy than excitement. However, Congress refuses to listen. The only positive role Congress can play in the reform for health-care is to play no role and restore democracy back in the health care industry.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 17 comments.


on Aug. 9 2012 at 8:15 pm
Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York
8 articles 1 photo 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

I feel like most people are concetrating on the the costs that this will have, and not enough on the possitives. I can go on and on to discuss the pros of the healthcare bill, but i also agree that the expense that this will have on people is somewhat scary.  I do believe though that this is a plan that should be handled with care and consideration instead of being dismissed as something with the purpose of taking the liberties of citizens and such.  There's a lot of propaganda going around about this topic, and instead of closing our ears and eyes about this topic we should be working on coming to a compromise. We also have to consider the advantages as well as the disadvantages that this will bring and what is more important, the risk that the disadvantages will bring or the progress that the advantages will have in the long run..

on Mar. 30 2012 at 11:37 am
dragonfly95 SILVER, Argaon, Georgia
7 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
'' there is nothing to fear but fear its self''

this has gotten me thinking, check out my work sometime if you want.

n2itions328 said...
on Nov. 19 2010 at 1:18 am
The writer makes a few very good points. But one stands out amoung the others, and thats the fact that it is a huge bill and we truly don't know all that is contained in it. Another things is the Author makes guesses as to what will happen in the future as a result of this bill. And finally, every one hypes the costs, how about mentioning the way the costs will be met. Oh and lets not forget that this plan is very similar to a plan republicans drafted not to long ago.

on May. 14 2010 at 4:52 pm
Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington
8 articles 2 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

I agree with you on many of those points, especially how Republicans and Democrats need to stop rejecting eachother's plans just because it is the other party's doing. Universal Health Care, or Obama's version of it anyways, takes money from people who work hard and gives it to people who don't. It's not totally wrong, but it contains many flaws.

CJMurph713 said...
on May. 14 2010 at 12:57 pm
I completely agree with you that it is wrong that people don't work for their money. But I don't see what is so wrong with having Universal Health insurance. Almost every other developed country in the world has it and they are all fine. Look at Ireland, they got it and now they are possibly the BEST economy in the entire world. The health care bill will be good because it allows kids to remain on their parent's plan until they are 26, no kids with pre existing conditions will be dropped from an insurance company, a person cannot be dropped if they get a serious disease, and people won't be denied help if they really need it but they don't have the "right" insurance. There are many flaws to the bill, i agree, but i think that the republicans should have worked to improve the bill instead of constantly shutting it down because that is what really hurt the bill. If both parties worked equally together on it, many of the flaws could have been fixed or improved. But when you have EVERY single republican voting against it,  no good will come from it. Congress needs to work together and drop the whole "i'm not going to like it because i'm republican and the bill is democrat", and vice versa, nonsense because right now it is the members of congress working to improve only their lives and win campaigning and not helping the greater amount of lives in the country. The problem is not with Obama, it is with the entire country being too divided and self centered to really want to work things out so that we can make this country great again.

msv13 GOLD said...
on May. 13 2010 at 8:49 pm
msv13 GOLD, New City, New York
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment
The only reason Obama is so 'glorified' and has a semi-decent approval rating is because of the pop culture conformist opinions for political news. Agreed completely Tenthmuse. This is slowly turning away from a democracy day by day. This is when the hard working people start to pay a lot of their salary off to aid the lazy unemployed. I can't tell you how many of my friends parents don't work. When I ask my friends why, they say, "They get a lot of money for being unemployed so there's no point.." Really, Obama? Great lesson you're teaching. 

on May. 13 2010 at 7:58 pm
Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington
8 articles 2 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

Propaganda generally consists of lies though, and I am not right- wing. I am a democrat. Obama's administration is, however, making me ashamed of this.

CJMurph713 said...
on May. 13 2010 at 12:56 pm
I see more propoganda that says Obama is bad and that he is ruining our country. Maybe you just buy into the right wing propoganda that is more prevelant in today's society than the left wing propganda.

on May. 2 2010 at 9:07 pm
Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington
8 articles 2 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

You don't think what you hear everyday about how great Obama is is propaganda? You don't think all the news stations and papers are pressuring the nation to love the president? Do your homework, research all the things the media hides, then see what you still think about it. I don't say this to be mean, but in all honesty, people need to at least look for more than pop culture conformist opinions for politicial news.

iloveglee28 said...
on May. 1 2010 at 12:26 am
Propaganda? Really? You're going to go that far and actually refer to us stating our opinion as propaganda?

on Apr. 21 2010 at 12:33 pm
cra-zshow BRONZE, Lynden, Washington
2 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
oober

one of my moms friends friends said they had a dream that obama steped in the white house and walked past the seal with the eagle on the floor and and took off his face and showed his true form as something not so good.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 12:28 am
Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington
8 articles 2 photos 50 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

Finally, somebody who has opened their eyes, done their homework, and shut their ears to left-wing propaganda.

Aliiiix0 said...
on Apr. 18 2010 at 6:45 pm
Finally! Someone who agrees with my opnion! NICELY said too!

on Apr. 18 2010 at 5:08 pm
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana
8 articles 0 photos 236 comments

Favorite Quote:
To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

I must tip my hat to you my friend, *tips hat*, I am wonderfully pleased with this article. Kudos!

on Apr. 16 2010 at 3:34 pm
you seem to know a lot about this, really well written. you've actually made me change my view about this.

Lizzie12 said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 3:21 pm
I agree with everything you just said and more. Well written, by the way.

on Apr. 16 2010 at 2:13 pm
the_sky_is_blue GOLD, Reno, Nevada
14 articles 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Become the change you want to see"-Mahatma Gandhi

I couldn't agree with you more.  It is a very well written piece.