Soldiers are not the enemy | Teen Ink

Soldiers are not the enemy

By GorgeousChaos BRONZE, Missouri Vally, Iowa
GorgeousChaos BRONZE, Missouri Vally, Iowa

Maybe i will never be who i was before.. Maybe i don't know her anymore.

I believe protesting at a soldiers funeral to be the highest form of disrespect any American can ever achieve. I don't agree with the war, but i sure as hell stand by my soldiers. They didn't ask to be sent to Iraq. They didn't start this war. I'm not saying every soldier is a hero. Some men in uniform do horrible things of their own free will. The point is, when a soldier dies for his country he deserves to be honored by his country. When a soldier dies your opinion on the war means nothing. After all, you don't know the lives of our servicemen, they could disagree with the war as you do. However, they can't let their opinion get in the way of their duty to our American public. So now that you think about it, is it fair to protest a man who no longer has the ability to defend himself? Some people just sicken me with how cruel they are. Signs like 'God hates you' and 'Hell awaits you' make my stomach turn. Here's an interesting question; why does religion have to be brought into every issue? I'm going to make this last statement as short and to the point as possible. You may not agree with the war, but you d*mn sure better have the decency to respect the soldiers that fight for your right to be that pompous a** across the street screaming to the grieving family that their son is a monster and deserved to die. I honestly think it is one of the most un-American things a citizen can do and should be illegal.

I recently read an article about a soldiers father who lost a battle in court and was being forced to pay for the protesters who were at the funeral protesting against the war. I find it ridiculous and immoral of our own court system to be that dull in a matter such as this. I just want people to understand as great as it is to have the freedom to protest it doesn't mean you should. Americas morals are beginning to dwindle. People are no longer thinking about the consequences of their actions. I find it sad really.