Help for Those Who Need It

“We, too, have our religion, and it is this: Help the living, hope for the dead.” -Ibid

Depending on where you live, teen suicide may or may or may not be very widespread. Though these days, it is a growing issue. Some children and teenagers today feel so small and underestimated so they’re driven to harming themselves and taking their own lives. Some kids do it just to seem cool. It is definitely not. All of these kids need our help. I firmly believe we should help them all out.
Sure, it’s their choice. Why waste your time trying to help someone who doesn’t even want it? Friend’s hospital reports that nearly 5,000 teenagers commit suicide each year. For all you know, your best friend could be injuring themselves. Now imagine losing them. This happens to people every day. Now this is what matters. I’m not trying to get you to change the world or anything like that. But if we can get people who’ll help the ones around them, it will surely make a difference. Anyone can reach out. Specifically, you could reach out. These children are our future and we’re losing them to depression and self-injury.
Why do they do it, you ask? It’s not just one thing. I would understand more than most. I used to cut myself, too. A number of things build up against them. Most have outlets besides cutting and hurting themselves, but it’s never enough. Around two million people in the United States are self-injurers. The main symptoms of self-harm are feelings of emptiness, inability to express feelings, loneliness, fear, past abuse, and depression (twloha.org). I know it can be hard to understand, but a whole build-up of these things is enough for people to hurt themselves or even take their life. They cut or do otherwise actually to cause pain. When they feel this pain, it relieves the emotional pain. Please try to see it from our angle.
You think you don’t know how to “reach out” to someone? You don’t need any special skills or a degree to talk to someone about these things. It’s a simple conversation. Don’t be pushy or critical. The main thing they need is to know they have someone that they can talk to who won’t judge them. Try to just give them a chance. They don’t need a lecture about it or anything. Just listen. Understand. It’s as simple as that. Not as difficult as it might seem, right?
They’re feeling judged. They’re grades might be falling. They have nobody to talk to or take it out on, so they take it out on themselves with scissors, knives, razors, hot metal, and yes, even guns. The slightest lashing from someone can trigger them, shove them over the edge. Doesn’t it make you think? So please, if you know someone who might hurt themselves or even commit suicide, just listen to what they have to say.

If you know someone in crisis, call: National Suicide Hotlines USA: 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK

CountryGothic said...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 9:14 am:
I am so glad that you are putting this out there for others to see, especially from the point of view of someone who had been into cutting themselves...much more powerful. From one previous harmer to another, thank you.

lylaterrace replied...
Oct. 2, 2010 at 5:12 pm :
of course :)

Sarbear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is wonderful. you really opened my eyes. i love how you spoke to the reader and made it personal with your own experiences. youve changed my outlook on some issues. great job keep writing. check out some of my work too:)

kfrog575 said...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 2:27 pm:
GOOOOOD JOB MARYY!!!!! ^_^
you changed the way i think about some things :)

Mary W. replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm :
really? thanks, kk :) well, the groups change your outlook on things, too :)

kfrog575 replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm :
teh groups?

Eliza Grant said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 4:35 pm:
This is all true, we should all listen. amazing job lyla! =)

Mary W. replied...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 9:11 pm :
you actually checked it out. thanks :)

Eliza Grant replied...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 11:10 pm :
of course i did!!! im sooo proud of you!

MelloK13 replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 12:40 pm :
Awesome work near!!! mello likez it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary W. replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 11:11 pm :
thank yooz :D

cornflake52 said...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 10:52 pm:
wow.... i never realy thought too deeply into that sort of thing before...

Mary W. replied...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 9:12 pm :
well, most people dont. its nice to bring it to the attention of others