Homeschooling: The reality behind closed doors

In 2007, NCES (National Center for Education Statistics) reported that there was an approximate 1,508,000 homeschooled students in the United States. 36% of these homeschooling parents have reported that the main reason behind their decision to home school their child was to provide him or her with religious or moral instruction. The second most popular reason to home school a child, at 21% of parents, was their concern for the school environment. 17 % of the parents say they were dissatisfied with the academic instruction available to their children. The remaining parents reported other reasons, such as their child’s physical or mental health, 2 percent; their child has special needs, 4 percent; interest in a nontraditional approach to education, 7 percent; and other reasons such as family time, travel, distance and finances, 14 percent.

Even though parents who home school have their reasons, there are so many more reasons why homeschooling is bad for their children. For example, how is a parent properly educated to teach every level of education? Teacher’s go through years of college to prepare themselves for the difficult task of educating children. A parent doesn’t have the necessary qualifications to educate a child. Plus, isolating children from other children doesn’t allow them to grow up understanding how society works. There needs to be bullying, asking teachers for permission to go to the bathroom, lunch tables, assemblies, packing lunches, taking school pictures, riding buses and presenting projects. Without situations like these, children won’t be able to function properly in society. Public and private school prepares children for the real world, it teaches them how to interact with those around them and how well they can act in given situations.

Through many online blogs, the majority of homeschooled student’s talk about how much they hate having to be stuck in their houses all day and how they never get to see their friends. For example, on My Blogging Site there are two entries from anonymous writers that talk about how much they despise being homeschooled. One even stated how they only see their friends at church on Sunday’s. I feel that this is another example of why children should not be homeschooled. Why should someone be stranded at home all day, everyday, and rarely see their friends? The worst part is they don’t even have the opportunity to make new friends. Homeschooling is a horrible way to raise a child. A parent can’t shelter their child forever, they need to realize that.

VikLuck is real said...
Oct. 6, 2014 at 5:39 am
I am not homeschooled and I think that homeschool works for some people. I say that beacuse we are all different and for exampel sports are not for everybody. I like sports and I`ve been playing soccer for about eight years and I still love it, but I understad those who don`t like sports. Anyway back to homeschooling, I don`t think you should be so aggressiv to those who are homeschooled and those it worked for beacuse we are all different...

ViralGirl said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

You say homeschooling is a horrible way to raise a child. And you would know this how, pray tell? Reading your impassioned statements about how bad it is to homeschool, one would have to assume that you have firsthand knowledge. Do you? Were you homeschooled? Do you know what actually does go on behind closed doors? Or are you simply making assumptions based on statistics?

You state that there must be bullying, asking teachers for permission to go to the bathroom, lunch tables, assembl... (more »)

Artgirl1999 replied...
Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:53 am
I'm homeschooled. Your article is fairly well-written, but you could definitely improve it. For instance, in the last paragraph, you state that two people on a blogging site said they hate be homeschooled. What about the other side? You say nothing whatsoever about kids who LIKE homeschooling, and never state their opinion. Now on to the parent issue. My parents are both intelligent, smart people who chose to homeschool me and my sister because they thought we would be bored in kindergarten,... (more »)

ReflectionsofYou said...
Mar. 18, 2010 at 8:35 am
Parents can teach their children because the majority of homeschooling textbooks are teach-yourself-ciriculums. If there is something they don't know they either get the whole family together to figure it out or higher a tutor or both. It's a myth that you have to spend 6 hours in a classroom in order to get an good education.
I was homecholed, and I WAS bullied, I did have to ask to leave the lunch table because it was the same table I did my schoolwork at, and thankfully I&#... (more »)

ClashFan said...
I have to disagree with you for many reasons. Firstly, I think it is slightly disrespectful to dismiss homeschooling in the way that you did and put a stereotype on those who choose to be educated this way. Secondly, to say that children will essentially become outcasts and won't understand how society works is simply incorrect. Did you know that many of our presidents were home schooled as well as some of the greatest scientists and writers this country has seen? And to assume that home sc... (more »)