Homeschooling: The reality behind closed doors | Teen Ink

Homeschooling: The reality behind closed doors

By 2lemons BRONZE, Bordentown, New Jersey
2lemons BRONZE, Bordentown, New Jersey

In 2007, NCES (National Center for Education Statistics) reported that there was an approximate 1,508,000 homeschooled students in the United States. 36% of these homeschooling parents have reported that the main reason behind their decision to home school their child was to provide him or her with religious or moral instruction. The second most popular reason to home school a child, at 21% of parents, was their concern for the school environment. 17 % of the parents say they were dissatisfied with the academic instruction available to their children. The remaining parents reported other reasons, such as their child’s physical or mental health, 2 percent; their child has special needs, 4 percent; interest in a nontraditional approach to education, 7 percent; and other reasons such as family time, travel, distance and finances, 14 percent.

Even though parents who home school have their reasons, there are so many more reasons why homeschooling is bad for their children. For example, how is a parent properly educated to teach every level of education? Teacher’s go through years of college to prepare themselves for the difficult task of educating children. A parent doesn’t have the necessary qualifications to educate a child. Plus, isolating children from other children doesn’t allow them to grow up understanding how society works. There needs to be bullying, asking teachers for permission to go to the bathroom, lunch tables, assemblies, packing lunches, taking school pictures, riding buses and presenting projects. Without situations like these, children won’t be able to function properly in society. Public and private school prepares children for the real world, it teaches them how to interact with those around them and how well they can act in given situations.

Through many online blogs, the majority of homeschooled student’s talk about how much they hate having to be stuck in their houses all day and how they never get to see their friends. For example, on My Blogging Site there are two entries from anonymous writers that talk about how much they despise being homeschooled. One even stated how they only see their friends at church on Sunday’s. I feel that this is another example of why children should not be homeschooled. Why should someone be stranded at home all day, everyday, and rarely see their friends? The worst part is they don’t even have the opportunity to make new friends. Homeschooling is a horrible way to raise a child. A parent can’t shelter their child forever, they need to realize that.

on Jan. 17 2020 at 10:37 am
Genevieve_C BRONZE, New York, New York

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -Les Brown

While you article is well written, I think you neglected to mention a popular alternative means of homeschool: online schooling. I've been online schooled for the last two years of my high school career, and I must say it paid off more than my first year in a brick and mortar school. Do I miss having regular interactions? Yes, but there are still ways to accomplish that, such as extracurricular activities, jobs, or volunteering. Academically, its also been a huge benefit, as I've already been selected for admission to multiple universities and scholarships. Most importantly, I believe that your article doesn't discuss another significant reason behind why parents sometimes have to choose homeschool. In a lot of public schools, the systems work to where there's a specified number of "seats" to give to a number of students. If you happen to not enroll at the right time, you'll be stuck without a spot in school; additionally, private schools tend to be quite costly, which doesn't always make it a much better alternative. Sometimes, homeschool is just the necessary path to take. It's not always a "horrible way" to raise a child.

on Oct. 6 2014 at 5:39 am
I am not homeschooled and I think that homeschool works for some people. I say that beacuse we are all different and for exampel sports are not for everybody. I like sports and I`ve been playing soccer for about eight years and I still love it, but I understad those who don`t like sports. Anyway back to homeschooling, I don`t think you should be so aggressiv to those who are homeschooled and those it worked for beacuse we are all different...

on Mar. 8 2013 at 9:53 am
IndigoElisabeth SILVER, Woodbury, New Jersey

John 1:1

I'm homeschooled. Your article is fairly well-written, but you could definitely improve it. For instance, in the last paragraph, you state that two people on a blogging site said they hate be homeschooled. What about the other side? You say nothing whatsoever about kids who LIKE homeschooling, and never state their opinion. Now on to the parent issue. My parents are both intelligent, smart people who chose to homeschool me and my sister because they thought we would be bored in kindergarten, since we already knew how to read and count and all that kindergarten stuff. My mother is a certified English teacher ( although now she only teaches us), and my dad is a commercial lender. Right there I have a part-time math teacher and an English teacher. If we're studying a subject neither of my parents can teach, we use a teach-yourself curriculum. This also helps us prepare for college and learn good study skills, since we're learning independently. Okay, another nitpicky statement:Why do I need to be Abe to pack a lunch every day? Why do I need to go to assemblies? Why do I need to ride buses? Because, for the record, I have done all these things and I'm homeschooled.

on Feb. 3 2011 at 10:41 am
ViralGirl BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

"No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

You say homeschooling is a horrible way to raise a child. And you would know this how, pray tell? Reading your impassioned statements about how bad it is to homeschool, one would have to assume that you have firsthand knowledge. Do you? Were you homeschooled? Do you know what actually does go on behind closed doors? Or are you simply making assumptions based on statistics?

You state that there must be bullying, asking teachers for permission to go to the bathroom, lunch tables, assemblies, packing lunches, taking school pictures, riding buses and presenting projects, and that without situations like these, children won’t be able to function properly in society. Hmm. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we trying to stop bullying in schools? And could you please inform me why packing lunches, taking school pictures, and riding buses are essential for the socialization of a child? How does all of this relate to the, quote unquote, real world? Do you spend upwards of six hours with your peers in the real world?

You also touch on how, and I quote, the majority of homeschooled students talk about how much they hate having to be stuck in their houses all day and how they never get to see their friends. Well. That certainly is news to me. If you haven't figured out by now, I'm homeschooled. And I know scores upon scores of homeschoolers who love it. They have a close and honest relationship with their parents. They enjoy the one on one schooling, which is more than you can say for public schools. They do get to see their friends. And we are most assuredly not stuck in our houses all day.

So far, in nine years of homeschooling, I've been involved in a writing group, a drama club, basketball, figure skating, roller blading, swim lessons, gym, and a young authors club. All of which are homeschool related. How can you call that isolated?

Now, before you get on your high horse and accuse me of hating public schools and the people who attend them, let me clarify something. I have nothing against public schooling. In fact, some of my closest friends go to public schools. What I do have a problem with, however, is people who assume that homeschoolers are isolated and unsocialized, and homeschooling is horrible. That I most definitely have a problem with.

on Mar. 18 2010 at 8:35 am
ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
Parents can teach their children because the majority of homeschooling textbooks are teach-yourself-ciriculums. If there is something they don't know they either get the whole family together to figure it out or higher a tutor or both. It's a myth that you have to spend 6 hours in a classroom in order to get an good education.

I was homecholed, and I WAS bullied, I did have to ask to leave the lunch table because it was the same table I did my schoolwork at, and thankfully I've managed to avoide school pictures, assembles, and prom *bleh*

I don't homeschool to learn, I homeschool to concuer. And I know my spelling isn't a good example but homeshoolers are often recognized for their better ACT/SAT scores and for being fairly more well rounded than other kids. None of this is to say we're better than anyone, it's just something I wanted to say.

Also, I'd like to know, were you homeschooled?

ClashFan said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 12:49 pm
I have to disagree with you for many reasons. Firstly, I think it is slightly disrespectful to dismiss homeschooling in the way that you did and put a stereotype on those who choose to be educated this way. Secondly, to say that children will essentially become outcasts and won't understand how society works is simply incorrect. Did you know that many of our presidents were home schooled as well as some of the greatest scientists and writers this country has seen? And to assume that home schooled students do not have friends or have any part in society is just plain wrong. There is a prejudice against the home schooled in this country and I think it must be stopped. Those who are home schooled are no different than people in public school besides the fact that they aren't negatively influenced by their peers, they don't have to eat unhealthy school lunches, and that they have more freedom to learn the way that works best for them. Please do some more research on homeschooling. I think you'll be surprised with what you find.