No More Electoral College | Teen Ink

No More Electoral College

February 10, 2010
By Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
Writer24 SILVER, Acton, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 41 comments

I feel strongly that the Electoral College in the voting process of the presidential elections should be eliminated. It is not good to divide up the Nation and give higher populated states more votes based on the popular vote of the state. Take for instance, the 2000 election. George Bush beat out Al Gore with Electoral College but not by popular vote. He stayed in the White House for eight years, and not many Americans liked the outcome of his presidency. With Electoral College, the actual votes of the states get ignored and it is only the outcome of each state's "election" that counts. Every person wants to believe that their vote counts, and really it doesn't beyond their own state. Without Electoral College everyone's vote would count equally. Now, with Electoral College in place, if you live in a state where you're political party choice is a minority, your vote almost never counts. For example, if you live in Texas but you're a democrat, Republicans will almost always win in Texas, and you're vote will never do anything. Therefore, to some extent, elections are partially predictable in that the majority of each state with the exception of a few will always be the same. I want every person to have an equal say in the election not dependant on what state they live in and what party is favored there. To support my argument, if you had a state that Republicans had approximately 4,000,000 votes versus the Democrats who only had 2,500,000, then if the Democrats had had up to 3,000,000 votes it wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the election currently. But in the overall election, maybe 500,000 votes plus all the other lost votes from other states might’ve made the difference. I think it makes it a fairer election to have the election be based on popular vote entirely.