Feminazism | Teen Ink

Feminazism

By Word!Smith BRONZE, Pinehurst, Texas
Word!Smith BRONZE, Pinehurst, Texas

There is something called the Ophelia complex, named after a character in Shakespeare’s Hamlet. She was in unrequited love with a crazy man. Her family was more concerned with the crazy man’s state than with her. She felt overlooked and unloved, a victim of an uncaring world. This complex instills a feeling in young girls that they are being held down by men, that they are being discriminated because they are female. They are compelled to feel as though the world doesn’t care about them.

I’m a girl, and I’ve been around men and boys all my life. I was a tomboy until I was thirteen, and my dad was in the army. I hung out with guys all the time. If I ever felt like I was being oppressed, I would correct the problem, because I was taught by my father that I am his equal. That’s the way that situation should be.

This natural truth has been perverted by Carol Gilligan, the head of the feminist party today. She is pursuing the campaign against boys, to destroy boys, to make boys feel a woman’s pain. She is planting the Ophelia complex in the heads of our girls. How many girls today have felt inferior to men? Ok, truth be told, there are cases where this happens, but now it’s overblown.

The way it is now, feminism is meant to make men feel inferior. It’s an addiction to power over the opposite sex. When it started, feminism aimed to give women equal rights to men. However, once equality was gained, some women decided that it wasn’t enough. The white man had to feel the pain they all had suffered under him.

A lesson was once being given to kindergarten students. The leaders gave bags of beans to all of the kids, except… the boys received less beans. The way the game was played was this: every time you had something to say, you had to give up a bean. The goal behind this was to make sure boys learned “what it’s like to be discriminated like women whose voices are not heard as often in the world.” After, it was asked of the directors of the bean project if they ever did follow-up to see if the exercise had affected the participants – children of five or six years, who don’t even know how to tie their shoes yet. The reply was laughter. “No, we don’t do that,” they said. “I have no idea if the program works.”

Another experiment was to put seventh graders (average twelve years old) in circle groups. They would tell them about rape, make sure they understood what it meant and what it did to people, women specifically, and then tell them to close their eyes. “Imagine that happening to your mother, your sister, your friends. Just imagine that happening to every girl you love.” It was supposed to raise awareness about how women were supposedly being treated.

Feminism has now become a twisted impersonation of the Amazons. To them, women are meant to be the rulers of the world, men the slaves. The feminists are fondly nicknamed “Feminazis” by many. They’ve become hypocrites. When they started, they wanted equality. Now, they want to be queens over men.

Instead of discriminating against boys and punishing them for what their grandfathers did, we should teach them how to correct the mistakes of their ancestors. Everybody needs to get over their qualms with the White Man and realize that today is a new day, and tomorrow is still in the making.

I wrote this as a speech in my American Literature class.

RavenScholar BRONZE, Annapolis, Maryland

"When life gives you lemons, make grape juice; then sit back and watch the world wonder how you did it."

I have said this elsewhere; but the point of feminism is not to "enslave men" or "destroy men". The point is to continue promoting the idea that women can do just as much as men and that they should not be stopped from doing it.

Opposite-gender-bashing is not femisim, nor is it healthy, or helpful.

I, for one, am proud to call myself a feminist.

on Feb. 11 2010 at 11:12 am
formulatedphrase, Atlanta, Georgia

"Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy." -F Scott Fitzgerald

Well stated - but I think it important to note that all feminists are not "feminazis". I feel feminism is still important, especially for women perusing scientific or mathematical careers. There are some areas in which gender matters more than it should, but the practices you outlined are far out of line. I doubt any rationally minded person would see them as productive or healthy.

In short, femi-nazism is unneeded, but don't doubt that certain inequalities exist.

hollyhottell DIAMOND, Redding, California

poetry is a diary written out loud

i dont like feminist. i think there hipacrits. for one you see them on the news all the time. they only help the women they want to help but they dont help ALL the women. for instance sarah palin. i no many people dont like her but i do i think she is a hard working determined person. but when she was being attacked on the news where were the feminsts then. women have equal rights for the most part. but people have to understand women and men are DIFFRENT. Just like feminists want equal rights men noe are having to fight for there rights because feminists are going overboard