Cell Phone Use in School | Teen Ink

Cell Phone Use in School

January 31, 2010
By MimiO BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
MimiO BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The first day of school arrives, and students seem to buzz but not with excitement or nerves. Instead, cell phones vibrate and ring throughout the day as students constantly check text messages and incoming calls. The presence of this technology acts as a nuisance to both students and faculty when classrooms should place a focus on learning. Therefore, schools should prohibit cell phone use during academic hours.

Students often steal cell phones at school, which results in increased crime. Expensive phones like the Droid and the iPhone act as prime targets for thieves who want to possess the latest technology available. As a result, these valuables tempt children to resort to extremes such as stealing, because they feel as though their cell phones seem inadequate compared to today’s standards. In the July 2006 Issues & Controversies On File article, “Cellular Telephone Bans,” New York City Deputy Mayor Dennis Walcott says, “In New York City schools alone, nearly 700 phones were stolen during the 2005-06 academic year.” All parents want their children to stay safe. So why should students take their phones to school if it leads to crime? Good judgment shows that leaving cell phones at home during school hours remains the best solution to preventing these thefts.

Along with promoting thefts, cell phones also act as a distraction to other students and teachers during class time. The blaring ring tones and rippling vibrations make both teaching and learning difficult. Teachers try to prevent students from texting under desks and behind books, because students tend to pay more attention to their cell phones than lessons. Therefore, teachers struggle to maintain the attention of the students, which prevents children from reaching their maximum learning potential. In the December 2006 New York Times Upfront article, “Should cell phones be banned in schools?” former English teacher, Jessica Scaccia states, “A student with a cell phone is an uninterested student, one with a short attention span who cares more about socializing than education.” Receiving an education remains the main purpose of going to school. Should students use their phones in school to socialize instead? Children should get the opportunity to study without distractions, like antecedent children who managed to succeed without technology.

Above all, cell phones popularize cheating. With today’s technology, cell phones can now access the internet and take pictures and save notes containing information for tests and other school projects. Cheating also reveals short-term and long-term effects on students. Some short-term effects include receiving a zero on an assignment and failing to learn important material, while long-term effects include acquiring bad habits. The August 2006 Internet Week article, “Parents Send Kids Back To School With Cell Phones,” discusses parent viewpoints on cell phone issues. In the article, a survey from Ace*comm states, “Thirty-nine percent of parents who have boys are concerned about cheating on tests by text messaging or cell phone, compared with 31 percent of parents with girls.” So, if parents express growing concerns with the issue of cheating, why do they allow their children to take their cell phones, the root of the issue, to school? Parents want their children to display good morals, and cheating destroys this principal along with their sense of responsibility.

Despite these facts, some people stress the importance of cell phone use in school. Parents may assert that their children need to take their phones to school in case of an emergency. However, many schools offer their phones to students who need them. In the July 2006 Issues & Controversies On File article, “Cellular Telephone Bans,” Mike Keeney, a spokesman for Texas’ Aldine Independent School District, says, “Should an emergency arise and a student needs access to a phone, they can use a phone in the office of any of our schools.” Schools take responsibility for their students, and this undertaking includes the ability to handle emergencies effectively and guarantee safety. Therefore, parents and children can get in contact with each other via the school if an issue emerges.

Overall, schools should ban the use of cell phones during a time designated for learning. Cell phones use increases school crime, detracts from learning, and encourages cheating. In general, this technology seems more detrimental than beneficial to students and their education. Therefore, leave your cell phones at home before going to school and encourage others to do the same.