Violence=Peace | Teen Ink

Violence=Peace

Violence=Peace

Death, injuries and pain result from violence; however, in many times good things can come from bloodshed. People need to fight for what they believe in, and sometimes there is no other way to do so but through violence. The statement “nothing positive ever results from violence” proves to be untrue in history, and in some iconic movies. Violence is a terrible action, but sometimes it is the only solution to our problems.

This statement proves to be true in history, especially in the Revolutionary War. If America did not fight the Revolutionary War, would it still be part of England? Would America be independent? The problems the colonists faced could not be solved by a debate. The colonists needed to resort to actual violence and fight for what they wanted and valued. Their success in the Revolutionary War gave them independence and freedom from British rule so they could establish their own American identity. Yes, many men lost their lives in the Revolutionary War, but America won and changed the course of history. Fighting for a noble cause requires strength, bravery and sacrifice.
These men were brave, strong, and loyal; they wanted their country to be free and that is why they sacrificed their lives.

This statement is not only true in history but also in modern day life as reflected in the movies. The recent film “Hairspray” highlights violence in protests during the Civil Rights Movement. African American and Caucasian teenagers participate in segregated dance shows and other social activities. There is a lot of tension, dislike, and disapproval between the two races. The few Caucasians who want desegregation try to become part of an interracial dance club, but their attempt causes studios and shows to shut down. The African American show is even taken off the air by the white producers. When the police attempt to stop a protest of segregation it erupts into violence. One example of this is the protagonist, Tracey, a white dancer who hits a policeman with a sign. The protestors risk being thrown in jail or being beaten, but they are strong and brave, and fight for what they believe in. By the end of the movie more people become aware that there is no difference between black and white people other than the color of their skin. As a result of many of these violent protests, society was starting to understand the need for equal rights and desegregation. Eventually times changed and schools, buses, bathrooms and everything was desegregated.

While most people would agree that violence should be the last resort to solve a problem, sometimes it is the only solution. There are many examples in history, such as the Revolutionary War, and writers and filmmakers today show that violence can be used to further a noble cause like the Civil Rights Movement. If there was no violence the world might actually have less peace and more problems on it’s hands.

run295 SILVER said...
run295 SILVER, Katonah, New York

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it is about learning to dance in the rain

You are entitled to you opinion. Violence is the last resort but do you want to be part of England?

Sri Palanisamy SILVER, Sewickely, Pennsylvania
respectfully disagree