Let's Say Thanks - Support for the Troops | Teen Ink

Let's Say Thanks - Support for the Troops

By buckeyes15 BRONZE, East Setauket, New York
buckeyes15 BRONZE, East Setauket, New York

As I'm sure everyone is aware, our nation is currently involved in a controversial war being fought overseas in the Middle East. Everyday, brave young men and women fight for the basic rights many of us take for granted. We don't always realize how truly blessed we all are, and seem to neglect appreciating the courageous people who sacrifice their lives for our wellbeing. Yet even when we step back and get a better perspective by thinking about them, our thoughts are generally for naught as we lack a good way to put our feelings into action. However, there is a good way to get involved, and it won't even interfere with the busy lives we all seem to lead. There is a website titled "Let's Say Thanks" that gives us an opportunity to write a small note, which is even capped at 472 characters (this includes spaces, and for comparisons sake it is similar to the 160 character limit on text messages) to illustrate how little they are really asking for. Taking the few minutes to perform this gesture is something fairly insignificant to us, but I’m sure it means a lot to the troops receiving the letters. Whether you are for the war or against it, I believe we should all stand united while supporting our soldiers. They didn’t start the war, nor is there any evidence they advocate it, therefore no one should use their disapproval of the war as an excuse to not participate in this. I encourage all of you reading this article to step back from the computer for a second and simply think about the lives the troops overseas live everyday. Away from their families, their friends, and the very country they call home. While our daily lives pose the inconveniences of tests, teachers and social lives, they wake up everyday knowing they are risking their lives. This personal sacrifice made by our brave soldiers is not one we should overlook, and I feel it doesn’t take much for us to take a few minutes out of our day to brighten the day of a soldier. If you don’t feel you have the time to write out your own personal message, the website also has an option for you to select a generic one. If you do wish to write your own, select the bullet next to the word “other” on the page where you actually perform the writing, and a box will appear for you to write your thoughts. The link the website is http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html and the first page provides instructions informing you how you can send your message. To help generate ideas on what to write, I have included this message that I sent:

Thank you so very much for the courage and bravery that you portray everyday to protect the freedom and rights of all Americans. Your own personal sacrifice and sheer generosity demonstrate the true spirit of the people who call the U.S. home. Words simply cannot express my gratitude. I pray that you had a happy and cheerful holiday season, and encourage you to keep in mind how much everyone appreciates all that you do and you remain in our thoughts and prayers. Heroism is a word used too loosely used nowadays; but it is merely an understatement in describing what you do. Thank you so much.

I urge you all to get involved in this easy program, and show your appreciation for the soldiers. You don’t have to set up an account, you don’t need to mail an envelope, you merely have to set aside 3 minutes (or less) of your day and use it to improve the life of a U.S. soldier. You can mail as many or as few letters as you wish, but keep in mind the more you send the more soldiers you please. These soldiers risk everything for our rights; please show them that we appreciate what they do for us…they deserve it.

Donna said...
on Feb. 8 2010 at 7:03 pm
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of an avenue that we can use to show our gratitude to our soldiers. Your well written essay brings home an important message. Thank you!

Rich said...
on Feb. 7 2010 at 1:09 pm
Well-written article. Thanks for taking the time to write and share a quick activity that will brighten the day of many of our service people. It's great to see young adults actively involved!!!

Pandora said...
on Feb. 3 2010 at 6:53 pm
Your article reveals your passion for our Country and the soldiers that are defending us. I will write to them as you requested. I am so proud of you.

on Feb. 3 2010 at 11:18 am
Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
Thank you for this artice. It was very well written, and I appreciate your deep love for our soilders :) We truly need more people who give them the respect that they deserve

on Feb. 2 2010 at 1:47 pm
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and respond to the article. Hopefully people will continue to be motivated by it and be encouraged to participate. These soldiers do a lot for us and really don't ask for very much in return, and as you said, it only takes us about as long as texting a few friends to do. Perhaps if the article gets enough support online it will be featured in the magazine and the word will really spread about this great program. Thanks again.

seyah said...
on Feb. 2 2010 at 12:38 pm
Impressive and extremely well written. My only hope is that everyone will take the time to do the right thing and send a message to our men and women overseas. It is the least we can to for those who live and die to maintain our freedom every day. You will undoubtedly take the time to text or call a friend - these men and women are friends and family too! Take a moment to tell them how much you appreciate them...you would want someone to do it for you...