STANDUP ACT | Teen Ink

STANDUP ACT

By gcarrigan BRONZE, Swewickley, Pennsylvania
gcarrigan BRONZE, Swewickley, Pennsylvania

there's a snake in my boot!!!-Nick Hobbs

Does your child drive to school, work, or go to any other extracurricular activity? Is he or she between the ages of 16 and 21? You could be greatly affected by the STANDUP Act. “The safe Teen and Novice Driver Uniform Protection Act (STANDUP Act) requires states to enforce minimum Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) to qualify for federal funding”(wordpress.com). Any parent that works knows that it is impossible to always get off work early to take their child to work or extracurricular activities. Also, some families rely on the income of their teen and their independence. Federal funding and the rights of teen drivers should not be limited by the STANDUP Act.
The STANDUP Act is not mandatory for states to enforce, but if they do not meet the standards of the act and comply, they can lose 25 million dollars a year of federal funding. By taking away funding, the government will hurt the economy and roadways. The funding goes towards education for safe driving and keeping roadways and signs updated. It would be an all around loss for everyone. It will hamper students and hurt their chances of getting a job. This act will be a hindrance and should not be passed.