The Neccessity of the War in Afghanistan | Teen Ink

The Neccessity of the War in Afghanistan

Critics from all sides of the political spectrum have attacked the War in Afghanistan, formerly the War on Terror, since it began on October 7, 2001, slightly more than a month following the attacks of 9/11. These critics continue to insist that the U.S., as well as other nations and organizations, pull out of the mountainous nation, and fail to realize the need for success. The recent Christmas Day attempted attack on a Detroit-bound airliner, in addition to the FBI probes in New York, are simply reminders of the importance of success in Afghanistan. If the U.S. does indeed leave Afghanistan before a stable, honest government is installed, we run the risk of allowing the al-Qaeda supported Taliban to reassert its former role as government officials in Afghanistan, posing an incredible danger to the entire world. Also, with relations with Iran deteriorating, stable governments in Afghanistan and Iraq would be valuable assets in the coming years. As FBI Director Robert Mueller stated, “…the threats we face are becoming more diverse and more dangerous each passing day.” Regardless of one’s political affiliation and beliefs, most Americans agree that the safety and integrity of the nation and world is a major priority.

Works Cited
"FBI Chief Tells Congress Terrorist Threat Grows More Worrisome - BusinessWeek." BusinessWeek - Business News, Stock Market & Financial Advice. Web. 21 Jan. 2010. <http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-20/fbi-chief-tells-congress-terrorist-threat-grows-more-worrisome.html>.