Teens should have the right to vote! | Teen Ink

Teens should have the right to vote!

January 23, 2010
By cndysweetmss BRONZE, New Rochelle, New York
cndysweetmss BRONZE, New Rochelle, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Blaire a sixteen year old is ready to get the right to vote. She is a smart and intelligent 16 years old. She knows that her vote will count for the future of this nation. She is qualified to vote because she pays taxes at her job when she gets money. She is a help to the nation when there is a problem. She is a volunteer when help is needed. She should have the right to vote. It’s not about age when it comes to voting. Some adults are not really smart to vote, they don’t even know what is happening in our nation. Youth 16 and older should have the right to vote. It has been argued that "In today's society 16-year-olds are more mature than ever before and there is no significant gap between an 18-year-old and a 16-year-old's ability to vote; the distinction is arbitrary." (Idebate 2000) Youth are willing to make a difference in our nation. Why can't they vote?


Teens should also have the right to vote because they pay taxes in their jobs. Teens pay $9.7 billion dollars in sale taxes and millions in income tax (IRS). And also 80% of high school students pay taxes. Teens pay billions in taxes but no say over how much is taken. Why can’t teens vote, they pay a lot of taxes at their job.
Teens will vote really well. They have the knowledge. Youth will vote well. They are not like the people who vote for Mickey Mouse and Britney Spears. They can make a change. Teens have the necessary knowledge to vote.
Teens should vote now so they can vote with family and friends. 18 year olds are getting ready to go to college and they won’t be able to vote with family and friends. They probably won’t have time to vote cause of all the work they have to do in college. Lowering the voting age gives them the time to vote and they will be able to vote the first time with their family.
Lowering the voting age will increase the voter turnout. More voters will come. And teens with their parents will come to vote. More parents will come because of their teens voting. And people who support the lowering of the voting age will also come to vote. Lowering the voting age will make a lot more voters come to vote than ever before. There will be a high vote outcome because of the teens voting.
Lowering the voting age will be a benefit to the lives of youth. Voting will change the characters of teens. Lowering the voting age will make teens more involved and active citizens. Some teens will become more interested in politics and will become much more responsible. The voting will make teens to be volunteering more. Teens will do a lot more things for this nation if they get the right to vote. The voting will also give a lot of benefits to the lives of teens.
My opponent my say it doesn’t matter if teens pay taxes. And that anyone can be taxed at any age. But it does matter if teens pay taxes. And I do agree on the taxing at any age, but teens are not famous, they have jobs so they can make their own money. Teens pay a lot of taxes in just one year. Every other adult pays taxes and they have the right to vote. Teens pay taxes like every other adult that has a job. Teens should have the right to vote because they pay taxes.
My opponent may also say that teens are not mature. But some teens are mature. And the mature ones should have the right to vote. Mature teens should have the right to vote because they are more mature then the teens that are not mature. Those teens know what’s wrong and what’s wrong and know how to make a right choice. Also as I have stated before some adults are not mature and don’t know what’s a right choice in life. So why do they have the right to vote. Not everyone should have the right to vote, but still everyone 18 and above does and they don’t care who they vote for. Teens should have the right to vote.
I know that some people will disagree with me on this matter, but teens are smart enough. They are mature enough to make decisions and know what the right choice to make is. Teens should have the right to vote because they pay taxes, they are intelligent, and they are also mature enough. Teens are creative, they have desires and they are different from one another. Their minds are all different from one another too. Teens should have the right to vote. They are the future of this nation, and have to take a stand in this world if they want to get anywhere. This is the kind of stand and way to make a stand in this nation. Teens should have the right to vote.
Teens pay taxes, are intelligent, they are mature, creative and have desires. Some teen’s desires are to have the right to vote and to be involved in this nation. If teens could get the right to vote it would make them more involved in their communities and make them be able to speak out in this nation. Teens want to share their ideas of what would be good in this nation. And what changes to make. The lowering of the voting age will make teens step up and tell people what they want. They are the next generation they should have the right to vote.
Lowering the voting age has a lot of responsibility for teens. Teens are ready to get the right to vote. They are responsible enough, and have the knowledge. Teens have the education and knowledge because they go to school. Teens work hard than ever when its education. They have the knowledge of today’s world and know how to make a decision. Their decision can make a change to this nation. Everyone should have the right to make a decision for this nation, especially teens. The voting age should be lowered; teens should have the right to vote.


The author's comments:
It inspired me to write this, cause in school we were having debates last year. And I like really liked this topic and others too. I like listening to the news so I know what is happening. And I think this is what all teens are thinking about right now. I hope people will think and read this artice and agree or disagree. But this is my point of view.