Teen Driving

Even though some people, mostly teens, think the Safe Teen and Novice Driver Uniform Protection (STANDUP) Act should not be put into effect, I think it should be. The GDL requirements are to raise the licensing age to 18, banning night-time driving for teens, and restricting the number of underage passengers in the car.
Anyone can get into a car crash, any given day, but teens are more likely to because they are inexperienced. Teens don’t realize how much responsibility driving is. Most teens can’t wait until they turn 16 so they can look cool and drive to school, or drive with their friends. But many people are at risk when teens drive. The GDL is trying to ban nighttime driving and using cell phones while driving, which is a very good idea. Also, teens don’t know the first thing about being safe in a car, so after they get their permit, they should have to take classes and try to learn more about driving. The GDL is also trying to limit how many people teens can drive with. Teens have fun in the car, which again is very unsafe for the people in the car, and also for everyone else on the road. Driving is a huge responsibility for teens and some may just not be ready to take the challenge. Everyone needs to try and protect all of the citizens in the United States and I believe the GDL is a big way to try to do that.

AllofTheAbove said...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm:
I totally get where you are coming from in this article, but my sisters have recently gotten their lisence and it took way past their 16th birthday. They were already 17 and not because they failed a lot just  because a person has to have a lot of hours of driving. Maybe they should just make you drive more before they really give you your license.

Mtizzle said...
they will be more 18 year olds crashing and dieing then teens because you dont just get into the car and now you drive in nascar it doesnt work like that

Leigh A. said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:15 am:
i disagree with this articles....if they raise the age to 18 the new drivers will still be inexperienced, so this really does not solve the problem at all

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:48 pm :
I think that the age should be 21 because that is when the brain is fully developed. 

soccer15282 said...
Nov. 20, 2011 at 9:07 am:
I think that is good and bad good becauce your 18 and alot of kids under 18 are very ameture and dont care about anything. I also agree becauce alot of teen drive and they can get into very sever car crashes and not risk there life but other people in the car to. !8 is a very good standered to have for beingf an adult and having the freedom to be a real full adult and be mature and responsible you an save someone life or a mistake from being 16 to 18 from a life or death situation or a mistake b... (more »)

theunpopularopinion said...
I do agree with the regulations, but it's not like teens can do whatever they want in a car. In my state, we're not allowed to have more than 1 non-relative passenger if we're under 18. We also have to drive with a parent at all times. So, it's not like we're gonna go haywire with a car, in our state at least.

nikkigonefishin said...
I agree with kate1918, your writing is good but I just have to disagree as well. Not all teens look forward to driving just so that they can look "cool" others actually need a license to spare their parents various inconveniances.

kate1918 said...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:30 am:
I think the writing is verry good, but i disagree. Since most teens only have been driving for a few  years (at the most) they need to practice.

FroBro said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm:
Teens need to drive. My parents are constantly out of town with their jobs. If I didn't have a car, me and my little sister would literally be at home all the time.

bnljack1 said...
you know what i dont get? if i came on here and made a sweeping generalization that women or asians were terrible drivers, i'd be a biggot. however, anyone can say teens suck at driving, even though young people have the best eyesight, reaction times, and hand eye coordination. you all should be ashamed that you can make sweeping generalizations like this.

Writer24 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good points in this essay, but I disagree. I think teens need to learn to be responsible when driving and maybe there should be a law for teens who are irresponsible, but I think it would be unfair to stop all teens from driving or whatever this law is suggesting because of those responsible teens out there. Certain teens may be capable of understanding and dealing with the responsablity driving requires.

mrsmiley replied...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm :
It doen't mater if they want or choose to be responsible, the fact is, the adolscent brain is not a fully developed organ. Decision making and judgment are lower than an adult's mind. Most Teens think they are invincible, and see regulations as suggestions. Yet most learn the hard way.

Rosey_Angel replied...
Oct. 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm :
I disagree, I believe the human mind learns by trial and error, so making the driving age later would just mean older people getting into accidents.

lolerbowler said...
May 12, 2010 at 5:55 pm:
this person makes it seem like once a kid turns 16 they can hop in a car and do whatever they want. they have to go through a drivers ed course pass behind the wheel and go through a final road test

ecababyy4 said...
It doesnt matter if teens are with people or if their by themselves their going to drive how they want to drive. Doesn't even mean that taking more classes is going to make them change their minds about how their going to drive so change the laws but its not going to get anywhere.

Courtney C. said...
Jan. 29, 2010 at 8:42 am:
this was a good article but my problem is that no night time driving means goodbye to part time jobs for students who go toschool all day, jobs are necessary and not everyone has a parent willing to drive them everywhere, and as for the extra driving classes, thats what drivers ed is for