Easy Through Technology | Teen Ink

Easy Through Technology

By Nick Dotson SILVER, Cypress, Texas
Nick Dotson SILVER, Cypress, Texas

“Hey, is this nick from Houston? Do you remember me, Kyle?” this was a post on my Facebook account from my middle school friend. Ten years ago it would have been almost impossible to find a lost friend, but technology has given an easier alternative to find one. Some say that individuals use Internet, iPods, and other devices to avoid social embarrassment, but the Internet can be a catalyst to start up new conversations. While the overuse of the Internet may hinder the use of social skills, overall, technology is a valuable tool that allows social interaction to develop in a relaxed number.
Internet usage can actually make reaching out to friends easier. With new technology, planning out parties, downloading music, and looking for social activities a piece of cake. Also, inviting friends to special events is much simpler using e-vites, rather than going house to house, giving each person a letter of invitation. Source C states “with the internet, information can be transmitted and received with ease at any time of the day to and from any number of friends” (1). This quote is explaining the simplicity of using technology to send and receive e-mails whenever you want.
The Internet makes it easier to reconnect with old friends and long lost family members. Do you want to find that old camp friend or send a picture of your high school play? Friends and family members can send pictures and messages through social websites such a Facebook and MySpace. Another quote from source c is, “users have the potential to ‘meet’ a virtually unlimited number of people” (1). This is not just limited to new people, but it can also put a person back in touch with old acquaintances.
Technology such as Internet and iPods can make it easier to meet new people and build new relationships. It does this by giving a safe place to approach new friendships. The Internet provides blogs, chat-rooms, and other special interests where individuals can “get together” and share opinions. Source A states”... new technologies may be a solution to the learning of ‘subjects’” (1). Also, opportunities to develop new friendships with people who have similar interests, such as book clubs and fantasy football, even iPods bring people together. Source D states, “... here you’ve got a setup where individuals use a personal technology and make it a social event” (1). Internet can also assist in awkward situations, giving teens a common place to start discussions. A great conversation starter amongst new friends is, “Oh, this is a great song. What do you think?” source e states, “as a result of their amazing transportability, iPods make it incredibly easy for people to bring their personal spheres into the public space” (1). Technological devices can actually help people come out of their personal bubbles and find new friends.
Source E state, “interactions between individuals is slowly diminishing as people turn to their technological devices instead of attempting to make a new acquaintance...” (1). The use of technology such as Internet and iPods can actually promote interactions between people. Krystle song uses the logical fallacy false cause when she states that interactions are diminished because of involvement with electronic devices. The reality is the Internet, iPods, and other technological devices can be very useful when it comes to interacting with other people. While the Internet could possibly hinder the use of social skills, overall, technology is a valuable tool that allows social interactions to develop in a relaxed manner. While some sources do suggest, “... Internet use has a negative influence on individuals and their social skills” (source b 1). The people of America should care about this because this topic applies to most Americans. Almost all Americans have technology or have had technology at some time in their life.