Text Me Anytime | Teen Ink

Text Me Anytime

By gymchik6494 GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin
gymchik6494 GOLD, Delafield, Wisconsin

Technology has taken over the 2009-10 school year. Cell phones are now allowed during certain periods of the school day and are even welcome in various classrooms.
On the first day of school the principals of both campuses state that the uses of handheld devices are now allowed in the hallways, cafeteria, and study halls for educational purposes.
For the most part, students are ecstatic about the idea of being able to use their cell phones during the school day.

“It just helps make things go faster throughout the day since the urge to text during class is diminished,” says Brook, a freshman.

Students take full advantage of being able to text during study halls and in between classes, but still find themselves getting into trouble. Students are confused because the principals and the teachers are sending different messages.

“I have study hall twice a day,” Katie says. “One teacher allows phones out and the other doesn’t. It becomes confusing and in a way frustrating. “

Katie finds herself not even taking out her phone throughout the day. She says she is afraid she could still get yelled at.
Texting a friend on the other side of the school has multiple benefits and can even be the only way to keep connection throughout the school year. And lunch allows students to text people not in that lunch hour. This causes distraction for them in their class.

This new policy may cause some confusion, but it can also draw friends closer and can help when needing the internet service.