Death or Prison: You Decide

It seems as though people think it’s fine that murderers are able to kill an innocent citizen and only get sentenced for life in prison. Life in prison is too “nice” for the men and women who murder other people. I believe that the death penalty honors the bible, it’s a better form of justice, and less people would decide to kill other people.

The death penalty is a much more efficient form of righteousness. According to www.deathpenaltyinfo.org, approximately 51 people have been executed via death penalty in 2009. This is important because this means that just in the last year, 51 dangerous people have been killed and no longer roam the streets. Some may say that the death penalty isn’t a better form but of justice. I disagree. In 1998, 6,530 prisoners escaped from the state prisons according to www.slate.com. This means that 6,530 prisoners will not face a consequence for there choices. With the death penalty, all of those people would have received their punishment.

The death penalty honors god in many ways. In the Bible, Matthew 5:38 states “You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth'. This verse states that if you commit a crime, you shall receive the same punishment as the crime you have committed. People may say that the Bible should not state what punishment should be given to a criminal and that we should decide what punishment the man should get. But if you decide to do that, then the judge may give an unfair retribution to someone who deserves more than life in prison.

The death penalty potentially would lower the number of homicide cases in the United States each year. From 2000 to 2006, the number of people in prison has increased 78,800 according to www.ojp.usdoj.gov. If the U.S. incorporated the death penalty as the official form of punishment for a murderer, the numbers would dramatically decrease. Some people may say that if we did do this, the country would become more corrupt. I say that we did do this it would make the country less corrupt because people would be aware of a more harsh punishment and they would think twice about their decisions.

In conclusion, life in prison will not punish the wickedest people on planet Earth as well as the death penalty would. The death penalty supports the Bible, supplies a better justice, and would make people think about the choice of wrong and right and would dramatically lower the homicide numbers. I believe the U.S. would be a much safer place to live in.

400king said...
the states with the death penalty have a higher homcide rate then the ones that don't. Also think about this, would you rather kille 10 innocent people knowing one of them is guilty of murder or would you rather let those 10 innocent people go knowing a murderer is among them. Advocating the death penalty on this weak of a statement is absurd. The bibe says "though shall not kill" and "to fogrive thy neighbor," to kill for killing are two wrongs that never make a right. ... (more »)

Kristop replied...
so are you saying it's ok for someone to kill someone and just live on with the rest of their life?

Kristop replied...
And put it these words, if someone body killed someone in your family, would you go and forgive them for what they did? Because if you would, your messed up.

Lindsie said...
Your arguments are a bit skewed. In many cases, this essay has a lack of evidence. In other cases, the evidence is not substantiated. Furthermore, the reference to the book of Matthew, "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth," when taken in context, actually says exactly the opposite of what this author claims. In this place, the Bible goes on to say that one should not live by this philosophy, but instead learn to forgive.