The latest doomsday theory | Teen Ink

The latest doomsday theory

By Daniel Tack BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York
Daniel Tack BRONZE, Roslyn Heights, New York

There are many scientific reasons for the proposed end of the world on December 21st 2012. Many people are strongly skeptical of this proposed catastrophe, but many have fallen into a trance and believe that the world really will end. To many in the scientific community prediction isn’t very scientific, even though seems creditable, is not very concrete.

The whole fairytale notion that the world is going to end started when anthropologists looked at the Mayan calendar and saw that it ended on December 21st 2012. Other pieces of more scientific evidence include the supposed switching of the magnetic poles on 12/21/12, and that will throw off the natural balance causing every natural disaster to occur. All of the planets, the sun, and the center of the universe will all line up. With the center of the universe being a black hole, all of the planets and the sun will get sucked into the center of the universe. The final piece of the prediction is that a planet half the size of the Earth is supposedly going to collide head on with the Earth, completely destroying it. All of these predictions however are not concrete and are not backed up. The world will not end on December 21st 2012, it is complete bogus. There is nothing to worry about, the Earth will be here and people will wake up and smell the roses on December 22nd 2012. Recently, after the movie was premiered, a Mayan man said that he viewed this as all just stupid rumors. The way the movie portrayed the supposed end of the world was very graphic with many special effects. It almost seems to perfect and setup. Even the predictions seem so perfect that they seem like a prank taken too far.
Archaeologist Guillermo Bernal of Mexico's National Autonomous University stated on Ekantipur.com “Even though the Mayan calendar ends on December 21st 2012, it was never said that the world was going to end. Bernal also states that there are other inscriptions at Mayan sites for dates far beyond 2012 — including one that roughly translates into the year 4772.” It has been said, by Bernal, that “the apocalypse is just western folklore infused into the Mayan calendar as a modern day myth because western myths are exhausted.” Bernal is also quoted on Ekantipur.com as saying “Most archaeologists, astronomers and Mayans say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials such as one on the History Channel which mixes "predictions" from Nostradamus and the Mayans while asking: ‘Is 2012 the year the cosmic clock finally winds down to zero days, zero hope?’ It sounds all too much like other doomsday scenarios of recent decades such as the 1987 Harmonic Convergence, the Jupiter Effect or (‘Planet X.’)” David Stuart, a specialist in Mayan epigraphy at the University of Texas at Austin is quoted as saying “The Mayans never said the world is going to end, they never said anything bad would happen necessarily, they're just recording this future anniversary on Monument Six.( a stone tablet found at an obscure ruin in southern Mexico during highway construction)”.
We will wake up on December 22nd 2012 and the world will still be in tact.