War Games | Teen Ink

War Games

December 10, 2009
By mahi_mahi BRONZE, Temecula, California
mahi_mahi BRONZE, Temecula, California
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound as they pass by."


Guns fire, knifes clash, and nations are in a struggle with each other. It’s war. It’s not good. However, I firmly believe that war is necessary.



My first reason that war should be necessary is because of terrorism. America was attacked on September 11, 2001, by Muslim extremists, when they flew Boeing 747’s into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Over three thousand died in that tragedy. As you know, President Bush declared war on all of terrorism. If he hadn’t made the crucial decision to declare war, terrorists might become bolder and attack the U.S. with biological or nuclear devices. Thankfully, this “War on Terror” is keeping terrorists from attacking the West and other friendly nations in the Middle East. Our troops are preventing the Taliban from taking over Afghanistan and Pakistan, and fighting off Hamas terrorists in Israel. All in all, since we can’t negotiate with terrorists, we must fight them.



The second reason is America’s obligation to protect other nations. Most wars we have fought were fought to end those wars. In World War II, our sole purpose, unlike the Soviet’s, was to save France, and liberate islands Japan had taken, plus protect Italy. Most other countries wanted to risk the lives of their soldiers to exact revenge, but not the U.S. We liberated Korea and Iraq from tyranny and Kuwait from occupation. We tried to do this quickly and efficiently, not wanting to needlessly waste the lives of our soldiers. Therefore, we need to declare war on our enemies who wish to harm us or our allies.



Lastly, we need war because it speeds up invention and bolsters the economy. In World War I, Britain invented radar, which is widely used by Air Traffic control and pilots. They also invented the tank, which has been adapted by law enforcement for riot control and forced entry. In World War II, the jet engine was invented, crucial for long distance travel today. Also, penicillin was invented, saving the lives of millions of people. Germany made oil from coal in 1944, a major breakthrough in science. And when you invent something, people buy those inventions. Buying things bolsters the economy. Invention is good for the world, and war makes it go fast.



Some say that war tears apart families and needlessly kills soldiers. However, the soldiers and their families know the risks involved when going to war. Many soldiers are willing to die in Iraq or Afghanistan to protect our freedom, so why stop them?



In conclusion, blood must be spilled in combat for several reasons: to stop the insurgents, to protect our allies, and to boost the invention of new things. War is not pleasant or good, but if we don’t fight our enemies, they may destroy our world.


The author's comments:
School Project