Euthnasia | Teen Ink

Euthnasia

By MegaMustang BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
MegaMustang BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona

Why bother; oh, and it's called an enchilada; I like beating up grandmas

“The institutionalization of euthanasia is so fraught with serious risks that it cannot be countenanced(tolerated)” --Anonymous
For Euthanasia::: It provides a way to relieve extreme pain, It provides a way of relief when a person's quality of life is low, frees up medical funds to help other people...
Against Euthanasia::: Euthanasia devalues human life, Euthanasia can become a means of health care cost containment, Physicians and other medical care people should not be involved in directly causing death...

--Euthanasia.com--

Euthanasia: The intentional killing by act or omission of a dependent human being for his or her alleged benefit. (If death is not intended, it is not an act of euthanasia)
Although the debate for and against euthanasia is controversial, there are major, major, reasons to illegalize the practice all-together. Maybe there are benefits—such as healthcare being available to others post-death—but the risks far out weigh them—such as devaluing human life. Among many risks, Euthanizing can become a way for containing healthcare costs, Euthanasia devalues human life by destroying it, and, furthermore, the practice of Euthanizing can cause physicians to become liable targets for families who have lost a loved one because that someone decided to, with assistance from the physician, end their life without notice.
Healthcare Issues:

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the first and only legitimate object of good government."... Thomas Jefferson. When someone is euthanized, that money intended for their healthcare plans can be transferred to someone else in need of it. This may be a good thing, but if taken advantage of, can cause large issues to arise. These issues can turn into larger problems, such as a country questioning another country’s government, and large suits may be filed. The reasons for government questioning are similar to, but not named as, Why are they doing this to older citizens, or, Will this be a trustable government to work with? Also questionable may be the sanity of hospital and social workers.
Devalued human life status: "There is no quality of life when the patient is dead."... a nurse. Having the ability or right to euthanize someone, whether they need it or not, should not be in the hands of a doctor/physician, or even one who wants it. Just because someone may be a “vegetable” doesn’t give someone else the right to end their life. There is a "slippery slope" effect that has happened when euthanasia has been first been legalized for only the terminally(will-die) ill and later laws are changed to allow it to be applied to other people or to even be done non-voluntarily. To be simplified: Euthanasia is a rejection of the importance and value of human life.
Physician targets:

Dr Brian Keighley, Deputy Chairman of the BMA in Scotland, said: "It is clear that doctors do not wish to play a role in assisting a patient's death. Assisting patients to die prematurely is not part of the moral ethos or the primary goal of medicine. If the legislation were to be changed, it would have serious negative consequences on the relationship between doctors and their patients (Euthanasia.com) Doctors and physicians can be sued for the practice of euthanasia—often referred to as “mercy-killing”—and become targets for families who lost someone that decided to, with assistance from the physician/doctor/nurse, end their life with or without notice to the family. Physician-assisted suicide, if it became widespread, could become a profit-increasing tool for big health maintenance organizations.
Questions to think about:
Legalized euthanasia would most likely progress to the stage where people, at a certain point, would be expected to volunteer to be killed. Think about this: What if your veterinarian said that your ill dog would be better of "put out of her misery" by being "put to sleep" and you refused to consent. What would the vet and his assistants think? What would your friends think? Ten years from now, if a doctor told you your mother's "quality of life" was not worth living for and asked you, being closest family member, to approve a "quick, painless ending of her life" and you refused how would doctors, nurses and others, conditioned to accept euthanasia as normal and right, treat you and your mother. Or, what if the approval was sought from your mother, who was depressed by her illness? Would she have the strength to refuse what everyone in the nursing home "expected" from seriously ill elderly people? Questions cited on Euthanasia.com and it’s sources
The practice of euthanasia should and hopefully will be illegalized all-together. Maybe there are benefits, but the risks far out weigh them. If this choice were to happen to you, realize and consider the risks; how healthcare costs may be contained, how it devalues human life, and how the physicians may become liable.

Euthanasia is illegal in most countries.

sorry this is large, and some is quoted,(but also cited), but this is my essay for a AA English class