38 Who Saw Murder Didn’t Call the Police | Teen Ink

38 Who Saw Murder Didn’t Call the Police

November 24, 2009
By lauren.panos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
lauren.panos SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As you walk down your street, you expect your neighbor to wave and take notice that you are there. When you see a lady taking her morning jog, you nod a “hello”. You would think your domicile is a place where you feel safe. But do you ever think, “What if I was sporadically kidnapped at midnight?” You would think fellow neighbors or passer-bys wouldn’t be lax about a situation. Would time elapse before help arrives?
No one person could obviate the lurid attack on Catherine Genovese, but to think 38 people could make such a rash assumption about the commotion is mind boggling. These people witnessed the stabbing of a woman on their very own streets and didn’t have the nerve to call for help. But what were they to think? It is not every day that you see a murder happen out your apartment window. It was a shock to the witnesses just as much as it was to Miss Genovese. The act of the crime, at that moment, was out of the ordinary and foreign to most of the 38 people. How were they to conjecture the outcome of the shocking attack?
I guess this incidence truly shows you what can happen when you’re not meticulous and aware of what you do and what is around you. “Who is really looking out for you?” and “Who isn’t…?”