Changing the Olympics one Little Hand at a Time | Teen Ink

Changing the Olympics one Little Hand at a Time

November 19, 2009
By Anonymous

Have you ever wondered how people are picked to carry the Olympic torch? With the Olympic Games being held in Vancouver soon and many people are being chosen to take a part in a popular event. If I could choose who could carry the Olympic Torch it would not be one person but a group of children who can change many lives around the world. These children are diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and are at the end of a long and deathly list of 70,000 people waiting for a kidney transplant. Of these people more than 10 will die today because it was too late. Many of the children will not finish school or have a family of their own. Giving these children a chance to carry the Olympic Torch will give them hope and an unforgettable memory that they will be able to tell their children and grandchildren one day. These children deserve a chance to feel like they can make a difference in the world and affect an event that is recognized worldwide. If these children carry the Olympic Torch they will feel that there is more to life than the hardships they have faced, all the trips to the hospital and all the dialysis they go through every week will be worth it. Giving these children a chance will help them forget what they have gone through. If anyone could carry the Olympic torch it would be these children.