Tyranny: 21st Century America | Teen Ink

Tyranny: 21st Century America

Political philosopher John Locke expressed his governmental ideal in his Second Treatise of Civil Government, stating that “people set up civil governments to protect life, liberty, and property,’ and that ‘a government that oversteps its proper function…becomes a tyranny.” Although Locke’s statements sometimes became radical, this general summary of the government’s role in the lives of the governed applies to many governing institutions throughout the world, including that of the United States. An essential concept established in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution, the government’s role as being an ‘employee’ of the people is central to the American way of life. The government, and all of its parties, is employed by the people, who pay tax money to fund its programs. In America, an elected official represents the interests of those who elect him/her, and has an obligation to work for the needs and desires of the citizens who voted for him/her, and, by paying taxes, sign his/her paychecks. However, politicians in all levels of government, and from all political parties, put their own ambitions, agendas, and reputations before the desires of the public. Recent examples of this include the bailout, which no one on Capitol Hill even took the time to read. Isn’t that their job? Why should the taxpayers of America be spending millions of dollars a year to pay politicians who don’t even bother to read what billions of dollars, and potentially the American economy, depend on? Now, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, as well as other ‘representatives,’ are trying to rush a healthcare overhaul bill, on which Americans are split. Although it is apparent that some type of reform in the healthcare field is necessary, the politicians on Capitol Hill need to do their job, and take an ample amount of time to create an effective plan. Even if Congress passes a bill in record time, one that fails to accomplish the healthcare issue in America is completely useless. Politicians across the country need to wake up, vote across party lines, and listen to the people. After all, we’re their bosses.

Works Cited: McKay, John P, et al. A History of Western Society. New York: Houghton, 2008. Print.