Canine Rescue | Teen Ink

Canine Rescue

By lindseyhucke GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
lindseyhucke GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Walking into an animal shelter, it is not unusual to see dogs almost burned to death, abandoned, starved, poisoned, nearly drowned, or beaten; people feel the need to save these animals from death by rescuing them.
In the article “Canine-11” written by Jon Katz, Stan, an ordinary man rescued a Lab/shepherd mix named Bear. Although Bear was not trained efficiently, Stan wanted to rescue an undisciplined dog in need rather than simply adopting a purebred pet. In the article, it becomes apparent that people take extraordinary measures to rescue animals. The upbeat tone displays this in saying people go out of state to receive a pet from a dog shelter. Katz in his article explains people say, “I can’t seem to do much for people these days, so the least I can do is rescue a dog.”

It is obvious to owners when their rescued dog has been abused, but there is no true evidence. Stan’s dog Bear appeared afraid whenever he brought a leash, stick, or collar near him. The article displays a quality message in saying it is brave to rescue a dog rather than adopt one from a breeder. Adopting a dog requires training and treating your dog with love, but rescuing a dog demands more than that. An owner must start from scratch and be patient with the growth of their pet. Depending on the way the dog was originally raised, it can become frustrating or unbearable for an owner to handle.

People who rescue more than five abused dogs become known as "hoarders" or "compulsives." They are drawn to the hopeless, injured dogs rather than healthy ones. Caring for more than one divides the attention that they receive, and after being poorly raised, it may result in the animals feeling neglected. A "hoarder" seems selfish and unfair, with the possibility that they only rescue the dogs to feel power: to save, to spare them from death, and to help out in the community.

Information found on the internet is beneficial to the rescuers. As evidence, the article states that typing “dog rescue” into Google brings 700,000 references up. Finding a pet to rescue is not difficult with these resources. Without them, there would be fewer rescuers. Although people travel to faraway areas to get the animals, there are dog rescue sites in almost any state.

Stan rescuing Bear was no mistake. People are able to better the lives of hopeless animals, and want to. Animal rescue is more and more common these days, and is beneficial to the society.