Nope!!! | Teen Ink

Nope!!!

November 12, 2009
By Christian Bishop BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Christian Bishop BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence” (Lincoln 1). This famous quote, by Abraham Lincoln, summarizes that people can only improve on their actions if they develop the opportunity to do it independently. Unfortunately, president-by-president, ideas from previous years have faded into the past. This new “era” has especially been brought out in recent times. You might recall the popular quote “change” throughout many campaign speeches and on billboards, signs, and even the news. Obama is proposing that we should drop our social independence and have more “equality” for the underprivileged and seemingly working class minorities. These new tactics would be thoroughly performed throughout various bills such as Healthcare, Bailouts, and even Welfare. I believe that all of these new tactics will strip a man of his independence into becoming nothing but an irresponsible, lazy, non-devoted businessman just like everybody else.

Throughout the past couple of months, the word ‘Healthcare’ has been swarming through the media in a rampage of debate. From Larry King to Rush Limbaugh this argument has had such a diverse number of opinions that you would not know where to start. In the beginning of the presidential election, Obama starts to lay out the foundation of the possible Healthcare bill. He claims that our Healthcare system and hospitals are already too corrupt for the working class and that it needs immediate change. First of all, if you want good health care already then why do not you find a job and maybe work for it. Get off your fat couch and earn the right for health service. Second, we would all be getting worse healthcare for the same price. If you really think about it, we have already overwhelmed doctors and nurses enough, but this would almost put them into bankruptcy and pull their life apart. Not to mention the poor service we would receive from all the patients. Did you know that Canada, our northern neighbor, has what we are about to receive and they use a lottery to determine between the fate of your life. No wonder they all come here for emergency care. Obama proposes universal healthcare for everybody, but takes no consideration for the medical field that would be doing his job for him. Thanks for caring for their jobs. I propose that we do give healthcare to the people who need it most; handicaps. It would not be that much of a paycheck, but enough for the working class disabled to afford their necessary operations and whatnot. Not really anything to rely on solely, but enough to get the disabled with financial aid through.

Another very divided bill that has taken place in the past couple of months is the recent bailouts. It was used to save such companies as General Motors, Chrysler, the mortgage companies, etc. from financial hardship or even bankruptcy. This is a perfect example of how people have been taking advantage of independency and using the government as a crutch throughout the economical crisis. It also will obviously result in government dominance in these certain companies. They practically bought them, or control so much of the company that they can use the owner and their products as a puppet to control what goes on the market. Throughout this whole economic turmoil, Obama assures all skeptical Americans that they have nothing to do with the company’s products or who is running it. Although Chrysler, for example, one of the many businesses bailed out, has announced they are producing their first line of Hybrids and Smart cars while also ceasing production of the famous Mega Cab truck because of its eighteen mile-per-gallon fuel economy, only a few weeks after the signed contract of the bailout policy. It MUST have been their own decision. Previous Chrysler statistics (before the present recession) show that the Mega Cab was one of the top five selling trucks of its time. And all of a sudden, only about a year or two from its peak, it is put to rest with no logical reason. But the government still insists that they have nothing to do with the company’s products or its manufacturing. After you sign a financial contract with a certain business and something drastic changes with no hints or signals, you still try to make me believe that it has nothing to do with it. Thanks for the honesty! That just convinces me not to believe in you even more. I believe that we should let all the companies get through the recession with no help. If they make it through the recession, then great, but if they go bankrupt, that is their problem, not ours.

The last thing that Obama may need to work on that is major is possibly Welfare. He proposes that we should help rehabilitate certain home buyers who fell with the economic recession. Certain plans such as Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac have “tricked” modern suburban families into buying houses that they cannot afford. This is the whole scam that brought us into the recession in the first place. First of all, these families were not “tricked” into buying houses they knew that they could not afford; they were just succumbed into the fantasy of living in a house they only could picture in their dreams. For example, in Biblical times, Lucifer, God’s head Angel, was honored to be at such a high rank in the Kingdom of Heaven. But honored was not good enough. He wanted all the power. So he threw a revolt over God and started his own kingdom; Hell. It just shows how greed and jealousy can corrupt the mind. Also, God did not give any sympathy to him; he just let him live his life. Why should I give sympathy to people who did not even think over the deed or the price of the house, but bought it anyway? You want me to give you money for something stupid you did and did not think over?! That is a great idea. This may also teach them a lesson about thinking before you act. One day these people will thank me for helping them become a more independent person.

People need to realize that they should not waste their life living off of others and mooching your way through tough times, but receive responsibility for their actions and learn how to overcome their problems. It is the only way that we can grow. Mother Hawks have to let their babies learn how to fly, and they will either fly or fall. They will learn a lesson either outcome, and they will learn how to be independent and live on their own. If you give a man a fish; he can eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish; he can eat for a lifetime. If we realize that we need to live our own lives and learn how to live on our own, we will not only live independently, but successfully. “The greatest gifts you can give are the roots of responsibility and the wings of independence” (Waitley 1).

The author's comments:
The modern corruption of today's politics and how our nation is falling apart.