Honoring our Military Heroes | Teen Ink

Honoring our Military Heroes

October 24, 2009
By Brunettie SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia
Brunettie SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

When Is the right time to honor our military heroes?


For hundreds of years our Military Troops have sacrificed their lives for America’s freedom. They have never stopped giving of themselves, day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year. Whether it's on the grounds of Iraq or the mountains in Afghanistan, people are fighting for our freedom and it should be recognized. So when is the right time and place to honor our Military Heroes?



I think they should be honored whether they’re on land, air or sea, at home, or in a foreign country during a war, or after helping set up a democracy. They should be honored whether they’re living or deceased. Our country and others are being protected against religious and political radicals everyday. How could we not appreciate waking up every morning to a free country? How could we begrudge the few extras military and their family receive when military lives are in constant danger


I feel we should honor them and pray for them everyday. After all, everyday that they do their job is another day of freedom for us. Could you imagine being afraid to worship as you please, having to cover your face in public, not being able to vote, or go to school, or become a doctor or teacher, or speak your mind, or buy and sell goods and property, or chose your friends and spouse? And now can you imagine being beaten in public, or hung, or put in prison for doing things that are your certain unalienable rights? Without our military protecting our freedom, we would be in serious jeopardy of losing every freedom we enjoy and should cherish.





So, I say go to the parades, salute our flag, sing patriotic songs, donate to the VFW and other organizations that support our troops, and when you see someone in uniform, say “Thank you for giving me another day of freedom”.