Common Cents

In recent times the argument has come up among both goverment officials, and public sector citizens alike about what aspects of socialistic economics we should incorporate into our country's government. Words like "redistribution of wealth" and "Socialistic healthcare" are thrown around in congress and in the news on a literally daily basis. In these times our freedoms, whether they be political or economic, are dangerously at risk. There are certain aspects of socialistic economics that would be great benifits for the united states; the common mistake is certain government officials thinking we, as a nation, can afford these advantages. With the american government spending more on defense contracts, weapons, and international security than almost every other nation combined, we can't afford to pay our people certain healthcare benifits without taxing them out of their entire paycheck. One famous New York columnist once said "Europe is living in the beautiful castle of socialism, and the United States is paying to guard it". The reason socialism works for the Europeans that rave about it is because they can afford it. If the United states tried to impose policies such as those of the Europeans, especially in such a time of economic stress, it could cause catostrophic economic failures around the world. It would be great if one day there was a world that didn't need saving on a daily basis, and the united states could put down their guns and embrace new government benifits, but for the time being the united states must stand on guard, protecting anyone who needs it; It is a sacrifice we all have to make.

Luis N. said...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

That was a very nice well-written article, however United States must always be capitalized. Try to be more careful with those small mistakes.

Trust though, that when you wrote that Socialism works for Europe, you set me on fire. That was just wrong.

Socialism. Cannot. EVER. Work.

BlueRoseIV said...
thank you all! hopefully i'll make it into the paper. i submitted two more today so look for those soon!

FirebirdA said...
Great story dude.

Anonymous said...
you brought up some good points but one of the trade-offs of living in europe is that a lot of the stuff we pay for with a monthly bill, like health care, they pay for with taxes. they pay more taxes than us, but their government puts the taxes towards the citizens, and not their military. for example, england is really clean. there's no trash on the streets or anything. this probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but it really does make a difference in the overall quality of life. als... (more »)

BlueRoseIV replied...
haha i realize the formatting in this story is pretty bad, and that there are some grammatical errors. honestly, i typed this in about 5min because it was a grade for a class I'm in to submit something for publication hahaha.

Demosthenes said...
Very well put Mr. "Rose". Iagree with this completely.

Locke replied...
I do as well. The format is somewhat oppressive, but the message is well put. Even if I disagreed with your logic, it wouldn't be easy to top.

Cornelius said...
This is so well put; it should be in a newspaper, posthaste.

Ellen M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You're so right. very well written.

susanm said...
Very observant insights! Well said.

John Parker said...
Nov. 7, 2009 at 7:34 am
Here here! Well spoken Blue Rose!

BlueRoseIV replied...
thank you!