Conservative or Liberal? | Teen Ink

Conservative or Liberal?

By Aubrey BRONZE, Riverton, Utah
Aubrey BRONZE, Riverton, Utah

In my own opinion I would say I’m more conservative. I say this because I believe more in personal responsibilities then in governmental action. Liberals believe more in the government to solve the world’s issues. Conservatives rely more on themselves and the rights they were given to solve problems that were created by the public.

One issue I believe strongly in is the enforcement of the death penalty. I believe in this because I think it’s only fair that if you murder someone you should be killed yourself. Liberals think it’s inhumane and cruel, but the murderer himself was cruel when he took the life of an innocent person, wasn’t he? As the stories go, “An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth”, and I’ll defend that all the way.

However, there are certain cases in which I tend to lean on the liberal side. An example of one would be the right to an abortion. Conservatives think abortion is murder, but to me it isn’t. In my opinion, the fetus is not alive when the abortion is being performed. Many women are raped and become pregnant against their will. All women should have the right to choose whether or not they want to keep the child. In some incidences, many women are mentally and physically unable to have the baby, and therefore should be required by a doctor or a responsible trustee to forfeit the child.

I have reviewed many cases and researched both liberal and conservative sides, but have found myself to be more conservative in the majority. As I said before, there are some special cases that have me voting liberal, but, even then I tend to twist the idea as conservatively as possible. However, as I’m sure most other conservatives do, I also have some liberal beliefs.

I was required to write this essay for my U.S. Government class. I'm hoping for others to understand why I chose to be more conservative than liberal.

pajorpc said...
on Apr. 13 2011 at 11:16 am

Conservatives Unite!

I get criticism for being to much invested into politics. More so for being a conservative in Illinois. This is a great piece.