"Don't Ask Don't Tell"

On Saturday, October 10, 2009 President Barack Obama spoke in front of the largest gay rights activist group. He told them that he WILL end the "don't ask don't tell" policy of the armed forces. Many people felt like that this would not happen because of the progress the President has been doing so far. He did not give a timeline on how long this will take but I still believe that he is doing his best.
The policy is sad. Why are we banning CITIZENS that want to help save our country the right to fight. Just because they are gay. What does being gay have to with fighting? If the armed forces need help or more people who are they going to get, will be the young people of today or the gays. In his speech, President Obama says "We should not be punishing patriotic Americans who have stepped forward to serve the country," and "We should be celebrating their willingness to step forward and show such courage ... especially when we are fighting two wars." I agree with him 100%. I trust Obama and NO it is not because he is black, but it is because he has the power, knowledge, and courage to help put this nation back in the right place.

Amelia_KThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ob.ama signed the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell yesterday.

gaga-fan28 said...
I totally agree with you, DizzyRae! If someone is willing to put their life on the line to serve our country, their sexual orientation should have nothing to do with it. I support a repeal/ban of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy and I hope that one will come soon :)

nagrombackwards said...
I agree totally and completely. Being gay has absolutely NOTHING to do with fighting. Regardless of other's opinions, I truly believe that Obama is just what we needed.
Keep up the good work and never stop sharing your opinions! :)

Alexis F. replied...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:58 am
i support the "don't ask don't tell", i don't think it should matter, therefore people should stay out of other peoples business. to not cause disagreements, discomfort, or descrimination

MisplacedTexan14 replied...
I support it too. If being gay has nothing to do with fighting, why do they need everyone else to know about it. The military is not for everyone. If you cannot meet height or weight restrictions you cannot serve. if you cannot obey you cannot serve. if you have a criminal record you cannot serve. If you cannot serve without flaunting your sexuality, you shouldn't be allowed to serve.

Esteban V. said...
this is just another example of what obama hasn't done.

DizzyRae replied...
Give OBAMA a chance..Dang he jus got into in office... at least hes tryin..lets giv him that credit

MarinaOreo replied...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:21 am
Exactly. Things don't just happen overnight. Any other person who was elected would not be able to do any different. So stop complaining. Presidents before that didn't even try to change the policy and now you have someone willing to do it. What's your problem?

conservative71196 replied...
Yes, things don't happen overnight, but it has been over two years since he took office and he hasn't done one thing about it. Also, just because he says he is willing to do something does not mean that he will actually do it. He has been "willing" to do it for over two years, but...nothing. And our problem is that Obama has made so many promises which largely contributed to his winning the election, but he hasn't fulfilled them. (Not that I support any of them)