Self-esteem

By , West Valley City, UT
Like many teenage girls, I don’t exactly have ideal self-esteem. I’m a fairly normal girl, I think I have a right to say, when it comes to how I view myself. There are things I like when I look in the mirror, but my “flaws” far outweigh my good features. I have too many freckles, for example, and my hair doesn’t curl just the way I’d like it to. I do my best to hide my less fortunate features and accent my desirable ones; I buy different hair products, try “natural” solutions for skin problems-I’ve even dieted. But no matter what I do, it never seems to be enough to make me happy.

Why do I, and countless other girls, have this obsession? There are many reasons, but one of the most obvious is simple: we feel like we have to look a certain way. Whenever we turn on the TV, or even glance at a magazine, we see images of “ideal” bodies, faces, and hair. Celebrities, models, even homecoming queens—they all make us feel we’re not good enough.
One of my favorite quotes (from 13 going on 30) takes place when a thirteen-year-old girl is longing to look like the people in the magazines she reads. Her mom tells her, “Oh, honey, those aren’t people-those are models.” Remember that.

Now, I’m not against being beautiful, but it’s important to remember that we’re all human, and as such we are going to have differences. We all have strengths and weaknesses. To all those girls out there, remember that you don’t have to be just like everybody else-that would make the world unbelievably dull. Just be yourself. Watch and listen to things that make you feel good. Laugh. Don’t let your standards down to fit in. Never forget how much you are loved!
It’s not easy, and I probably am being something of a hypocrite, but maybe by writing this it will help me, and I hope it will help you. When you turn on 90210, or see a commercial with an unbelievably skinny, pretty model, just remember that they are not you, and you don’t have to be them. So go ahead, have your hair done for prom or have a spa night with the girls every once in a while. Just take it easy. There’s no harm in trying to look your best, but keep in mind that your best is not anyone else’s best, and that no one else will ever be you.

AmandaPanda123 said...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:59 am:
That is true. I get tired of seeing the countless models on tv, in magazines, and online.

zlochi said...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:03 am:
Yay! That's super cool! I used to feel exactly the same way, but I figured I'm me and they're them and let's just all accept that. I'm sure beauty queens have issues with their looks too.

ladyrp said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm:
i love this article it is so true but me personally i love myself i want to lose weight but im not obssessed wit it and i dont want to look like any one but myself so this article is the best!!!

naturelover123 said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 4:27 pm:
I agree...we're all beautiful in our own way.

Natalie B. said...
This was wonderfull! You speak for a message that you believe is right and you rock for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YourCoolestSister said...
Awesome job! Sorry it took so long for me to read it. You are a great writer! Oh and P.S. it was a great message too! Good luck on your other articles!

Swute52 said...
Sept. 10, 2009 at 8:38 am:
Wow that was absolutely amazing!

forever_dancer said...
can you hear it? im cheering wildly for you!

Aliflu101 replied...
Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm :
ur sooooooooooooooo rite gal!!!!!!!

BellaLuna said...
I really agree with this check out my work some if it is about the same stuff in this article. i hate ow i feel inferior when around certain people even if i am not and i hate that but i am so used to it. NICE WORK! *clap clap* :)

Ren-P. said...
This is a really good and interesting article. I totally agree with what you said in this.