Is there Something Good on? | Teen Ink

Is there Something Good on?

April 30, 2009
By Anonymous

Just like most other teens, I am not obsessed with watching the news. I don’t read the newspaper on a regular basis, and don’t have a news website as my homepage. But when I do want to know what’s going on in the world all I see is bad events. People stealing, murderers running on the loose, and the economy tanking again. Why does everything on the news have to be sad or scary?

Although I’m only a kid, I know that more good events happen than what the media shows. People can do nice things, but the news wouldn’t show you that. Every day, millions and millions of people will do kind deeds, and will need no thanks in return. They might pick up a piece of trash, or help an old lady cross the street. When the news does show something positive, it is usually something substantial, like someone risking their life to save another. Hopefully, this will not down the spirits of the everyday good-doer.

The celebrities and sport stars of America are also making headlines, but some are better than others. These celebrities don’t always model an ideal idol for the teens of America, by staying out late partying, and doing substance abuse. The newscast always makes a little time to let you know what Paris Hilton was doing last night, or how A-rod was caught using steroids. Teens should not be influenced by what the media decides to tell you concerning what adults have done to mess up there life. Instead, they should announce to their many viewers what positive actions celebrities and athletes have made. For instance, how Bono went to help improve poverty in Africa, and when linebacker Larry Foote paid for the funeral of a ten year old boy he didn’t even know. America’s youth needs to be influenced to be a good citizen, which thankfully, is possible.

The dilemma is that good Samaritans don’t sell in the media. Controversy sells. And sadly it possibly always will. Teens need to know that even though it may not make it on primetime news, little actions here and there can make someone’s day. So the next time you see the economy plummeting on the news, remember that people just like you are always doing good deeds to make sure behind the scenes.