Queer youth! Here's what you need to know about politicians and their goals to take your identity away | Teen Ink

Queer youth! Here's what you need to know about politicians and their goals to take your identity away

March 25, 2024
By Missobligation BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Missobligation BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Navigating America as a queer person under the age of 18 right now is exhausting. There have been so many new policies and laws imposed on queer youth to discourage them from embracing their identity. That is why I have compiled a list of new laws or bills that restrict- or discourage- healthcare support for anyone who identifies as LGBTQ+. From the ‘don’t say gay’ ban, to the illegalization of gender-affirming care for trans patients, the Family Medicine Industry in America is tied in a knot and it is sadly up to the many painfully aware youth to handle their own identity, with or without their pediatricians support. This article wishes to shed some light on queer minors dwindling rights and how to safely talk about the topic of queerness when support is lacking.


1. Many states have allowed for doctors to discriminate against their patients for anything they believe is a ‘conscious-based objection’.
Under this new law, any healthcare provider can deny you gender-affirming care--or any kind of care-- because of your gender, race, or any other piece of your identity your doctor doesn’t agree with. Even though this law allows for any kind of medical discrimination, queer people and racial minorities are more likely to be denied care than most other minorities, which is exactly why I have chosen to include this law. For young people specifically, please be aware that it is your doctor's responsibility to take care of you. If you feel that at any point your doctor may be biased against you or makes you uncomfortable, you are always allowed to ask to change pediatricians. Additionally, if your doctor does decide to discriminate against you, look into LGBTQ+ friendly clinics in your area. 

2. The most detrimental wave of bills and laws- prohibiting transgender youth from getting gender-affirming care.
These bills make it a felony to provide any kind of gender-affirming care (this applies to all queer people of any age, but specifically targets trans youth). Medical providers will get their licenses revoked, insurance can no longer cover those expenses, and both parties may face jail time if they are caught. If you don’t know, gender-affirming care is defined by Areana Quinones as “judgment-free, individualized care oriented toward understanding and appreciating a person’s gender”. This usually includes gender-affirming therapy and/or puberty blockers. Many of these bills seek to prevent trans youth from beginning to explore their identity and the process of transitioning. What many of the politicians backing these new policies won’t accept is that ‘gender-affirming’ care for young trans kids is usually aid for these kids to socially transition Before these laws, it was extremely difficult or impossible for anyone under the age of 18-21 (depending on the state) to access hormone therapy or gender-affirming surgery. All these bills are going to be doing is making life miserable for the many already struggling trans youth trying to become comfortable in their identity, while oppressing the adults who need to be supported medically.


3. The censorship of AIDS and HIV awareness.
In order to minimize ‘the queer epidemic’, politicians are using these bills to censor any previously taught information about the spread of AIDS and HIV awareness. This harmful view of intimacy and the need to be ‘abstinent’ does nothing but create more stigma around intimacy and being queer. This could also technically fall under the gender-affirming care ban, but because it expands outside of healthcare, I decided to include it. Please make sure you are educating yourself on the risks of intimacy or you are telling your doctor you are active. 

4. The forced outing of many kids to both their doctors and parents, and the need to ‘cure’ it.
Again, this could fall under gender-affirming care, however, this is a very important topic that I have not seen get talked about much. Many doctors are now allowed to out their queer patients to their parents or family members. Even though this wasn't technically ‘illegal’ before, many pediatricians have been encouraged to out their patients, and in some cases can face felony charges if they do not inform the minors guardians. 

5. The general criminalization of queer people.            
The rise in conservative laws being passed has caused panic amongst many young queer people. Rights are being revoked left and right, information is being unnecessarily censored, and young queer folk are being put in uncomfortable-sometimes even dangerous- situations because of these politicians who think they are ‘protecting the children’.


I know you might be feeling hopeless with America right now, and you have good reason too. But fear not, because I have some resources to help you access the gender-affirming care you need:

The Trevor Project

Outcare Health

The Human Rights Campaign

The CDC

Zona Segura

American Academy of Family Physicians


Obviously, these are only a fraction of the resources out there, but they can help you get started.

The last thing I want to leave you with, pediatrics is one of the most liberal professions out there. There have been numerous occasions where practitioners in family medicine have spoken out against the many anti-LGBTQ+ policies being passed and they want to continue to help the young queer population who-at times- feel confused and targeted. That being said, it is important to do your research on your healthcare provider. Make sure you can trust them and that they will do their best to support you (even if it means getting referred to other clinics or resources who can legally treat you). Many pediatricians do care and want the best for their patients, but it is still vital to understand the pressure they are being put under and the risks they might not be comfortable taking. It is also important to know what YOUR rights are so you are prepared to navigate the hellscape that is our current healthcare system.

Stay safe out there.


The author's comments:

Queer equality only recently entered my scope of knowledge, after I began doing more research on my own sexuality. I have since become very passionate about this topic, which is why I chose to focus on it for this article. When I first began looking for resources to inform my writing, one of the first things I learned was that for the most part, many queer people don't fully understand the new laws and bills being passed to further dehumanize them. From the trans genocide to the recent prospect of Project 2025 being pushed into legislation, I am scared. Not just for myself, but also the many young queer people who are left to navigate their harrowing realities alone.