Crime Rate Runs Wild | Teen Ink

Crime Rate Runs Wild

Another innocent person was shot last night in Milwaukee. This is part of a recent wave of crime that has run rampant throughout our nation’s cities. I am not just talking about inane crimes like bullying and running a red light. This is much more serious. Hundreds of people are dying or being injured by rogue criminals with no respect for human life.

Crime was so out of hand in St. Louis that the police chief tried to keep the crime rates clandestine. It wasn’t until a recent rash of flagrant thefts that the citizens became suspicious. How many more cities are lying about their problems? Could we really be facing an even larger problem?
I admonish all readers to examine the root cause. Parenting. If parents do not pass on good ethics to their children, will they not behave like animals? Good citizenry starts at home. Why does a teenager rob a Seven Eleven and then shoot the attendant? Why does someone speeding along a busy freeway try to run away from the cops? I believe it is because their parents encouraged that kind of action. Video games like Grand Theft Auto don’t really show any consequences for crimes. The culprit can just push restart and get a second chance. You can’t push reset on life. Once a child becomes set in his/her ways, they become inexorable. Parents need to realize that their job is more than just providing food and clothes. They have a responsibility to society to teach their kids the difference between right and wrong. That is a task that even a great school cannot accomplish.

Without the realization of this fact, our country could remain in duress for years to come. Good citizenry starts at home. Teaching it to children is a hard task, but parents need to accept that responsibility.

totalbookworm96 BRONZE, Granger, Indiana
I dont think its fair to blame everything on the parents. i know they certinly play a role in devolopment, and you're right if they don't teach good ethics how can the kids to do right? but its ultimately the individuals fault - i have seen kids that came from great families turn out not so great, and its not the parents fault

on Jul. 7 2009 at 1:01 am
Graceless91 PLATINUM, Seekonk, Massachusetts

"you can never fully love someone until you love yourself first"

a parent can teach thier child every moral in the world, and all the right things but it is up to the child at a certain point in their life to use what they have learned the way they want, even if that means disregarding them totally.