Crime Rate Runs Wild | Teen Ink

Crime Rate Runs Wild

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

Another innocent person was shot last night in Milwaukee. This is part of a recent wave of crime that has run rampant throughout our nation’s cities. I am not just talking about inane crimes like bullying and running a red light. This is much more serious. Hundreds of people are dying or being injured by rogue criminals with no respect for human life.

Crime was so out of hand in St. Louis that the police chief tried to keep the crime rates clandestine. It wasn’t until a recent rash of flagrant thefts that the citizens became suspicious. How many more cities are lying about their problems? Could we really be facing an even larger problem?
I admonish all readers to examine the root cause. Parenting. If parents do not pass on good ethics to their children, will they not behave like animals? Good citizenry starts at home. Why does a teenager rob a Seven Eleven and then shoot the attendant? Why does someone speeding along a busy freeway try to run away from the cops? I believe it is because their parents encouraged that kind of action. Video games like Grand Theft Auto don’t really show any consequences for crimes. The culprit can just push restart and get a second chance. You can’t push reset on life. Once a child becomes set in his/her ways, they become inexorable. Parents need to realize that their job is more than just providing food and clothes. They have a responsibility to society to teach their kids the difference between right and wrong. That is a task that even a great school cannot accomplish.

Without the realization of this fact, our country could remain in duress for years to come. Good citizenry starts at home. Teaching it to children is a hard task, but parents need to accept that responsibility.