Ink or Armor? Choose Your Way to Help Fight Gun Violence | Teen Ink

Ink or Armor? Choose Your Way to Help Fight Gun Violence

By dostermeryl BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
dostermeryl BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota

Today, a prevalent problem in society is gun violence. In the United States, many people without a firearm license have access to guns and use them in a harmful way. The easy access to guns has resulted in many tragedies, like the numerous school shootings that occur each year, putting innocent people in danger. The frequent gun use also results in tragic suicides and murders. Many factors, such as mental illness or conflict with others, contribute to people abusing the right to have guns. For innocent people, it can be challenging to identify whether they are in a dangerous situation. Many people deal with anxiety daily because gun violence is so common and can happen anywhere, anytime, and harm anyone with no warning.

The Second Amendment gives Americans the right to bear arms, which most of our grandpa’s probably value. Or maybe that only applies to me because my grandpa was a redneck farmer in Iowa. This right can be an obstacle when combating gun violence because it’s what allows people to possess guns, which some see as the root of the problem. However, we can not expect everyone to give up their right to the Second Amendment, especially with the polarization that exists today. It seems impossible to bring Americans to one side's ideal solution. For instance, if we removed all guns, that would only satisfy about half of America. So what if there was a fair compromise that helped diminish gun violence? After all, our country has come a long way to value fairness and equality, so might as well weave those values into a solution. What if I proposed a solution that offers satisfaction to both anti-gun advocates and pro-gun activists, decreases the polarization of gun violence, and tackles the harm of shootings in America? Would I become your favorite person ever?

The first part of my solution to gun violence would be to require gun advocates to get their wrists and faces tattooed with the word "armed" immediately after they purchase a gun. There could be a tattoo artist at every gun shop in America to execute this plan. These tattoos would inform others that they are gun owners. Anytime a gun advocate enters a public area, they would have to show a security guard their tattoos. All gun owners who didn't have the tattoos or disobeyed would go to jail. If a child's parents identify as gun owners, they would have to regularly ink a temporary tattoo on the child's wrist to keep it visible. Once the child is 18 years old, they can choose whether or not they want to be a gun owner. 

Picture this scene. You are at the local gun shop in your town and want to purchase a gun. The cashier will ring you up like any ordinary worker. They will do a background check, ensure you are 18 or older, and make sure you can pay. But then, next thing you know, they have whipped out the tattoo gun. They ask, "Are you sure you want to be a gun owner?" If yes, the buzzing starts. First, you feel the intense sting and pressure on your wrist. After a few minutes, you have the word "armed" right on top of your veins. Next, the stinging sensation goes to your forehead. They write "armed" again. You turn to the mirror and take a glance at your new look. A walking, talking advertisement for the Second Amendment appears in the reflection of the glass. You feel regret, but try to look at the benefit of the doubt. It can be your new conversation starter at events! 

"Yo, Charlie, what's up with the new tattoos?" 

"Oh, you know, I am just exercising my constitutional rights. What’s new with you?"

Now, let's talk about the flip side of my solution. You may be wondering, what do the anti-gun activists have to do? Well I’ll tell you. Nervous? 

Since some anti-gun activists do not see any sense in the Second Amendment, they do not have to abide by those rights, but still maintain respect to those who do. Instead, anti-gun supporters must wear bulletproof vests in public areas. The vests are only fair because the others have to get tattoos, and this is a compromise. The vests are also essential because they can ensure that anti-gun advocates feel safe wherever they go. With my solution, anti-gun supporters will not have to worry about the unsafety of schools or even their well-being in those dark alleys at night where people end up walking home from the bar. Now I understand this idea may be alarming for any fashionistas. Trust me, I get it. I love my fashion. However, the vests are safety conscious and good for our social environment. Just imagine, runway shows now featuring the latest trends, with models strutting down the runways in stylish vests designed by Chanel and Gucci. Can bulletproof vests become the new style? I say we make it happen.

For my solution to work, the government would have to enforce a punishment if people did not obey these rules. I know, I know, that sounds cruel, but I lived in Minneapolis May of 2020 so I believe in some society regulation. The authorities would have to fine anyone entering a public area without tattoos or vests. In the case of a child, their parents or guardians would be fined. Following two offenses, the authorities would have to arrest the individual. 

Amid the pressing gun violence problems, it's essential to look for solutions that respect people’s rights while expanding public safety. The solution I proposed addresses both gun supporters' and anti-gun activists' concerns, creating cooperation in the aim for a more secure society. While the tattoos and bulletproof vests may take some getting used to, they represent a compromise that can lower the polarization around gun control in our society. Most importantly, the compromise can decrease the harm and anxiety caused by gun violence with protection from the vests and identification of people who have a weapon. I mean when it comes down to combating hundreds of bloody massacres that happen in the United States each year, tattoos and vests aren’t that bad… right?

My piece is a humor proposal essay on gun violence. I hope everyone can enjoy.