Censorship in COVID-19 | Teen Ink

Censorship in COVID-19

October 23, 2023
By emilyy_liuhx BRONZE, Calabasas, California
emilyy_liuhx BRONZE, Calabasas, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

China's forced quarantine of all Chinese nationals is controversial to this day. Although it was the right thing to enforce at the beginning due to China’s massive population. The only way to control the spread of the virus was to force quarantine on Chinese nationals. China also does not allow its citizens to use overseas software and websites for social media like Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. This law was further reinforced after Dr. Li Wenlian’s incident where he died in the line of duty and people were accusing the Chinese government online. More censorship on social media has been seen since then, leading to a gradual corruption of leaders who have authority over different cities and areas in China after the first wave of COVID quarantine. Those in power decided to take a large portion of the supplies sent by the government to help citizens in need for themselves. The money that was supposed to fund COVID prevention and control was pocketed by these corrupt government officials while Chinese citizens did not know about it. People began to starve to death and committed suicide by jumping out of their high-rise flat apartments, simply because they had no other way to survive in Shanghai. Last year, at least 10 people were burned alive in a fire in an apartment building in Xinjiang ​​Ürümqi because they were locked inside with chains due to COVID restrictions. Chaining the doors together prevented them from escaping the fire. Even though people were being burned alive, government officials still would not let people out of their buildings. This is an atrocious decision. However, when I asked my friends and relatives in China about this, almost no one knew about this incident because it was censored by the government. To take it one step further, our family group chat discussing this topic was banned and deleted merely for discussing this topic that the government deemed “forbidden.” It pains me to witness actions like these as a Chinese citizen because they are so oblivious to what the government is doing to its citizens. In hindsight, there is some irony and sarcasm when reflecting on these policies that were described at the beginning of the book after two years because people are inherently selfish and will take advantage of those who are oblivious. Social media and censorship allow corrupt government officials to continue to get away with such actions because the government will never show the population that those in positions of power in the Chinese government are immoral, for it is a poor reflection on the ruling party. At the end of the day, there will always be people who always put profits before human lives, which will make it a serious humanitarian issue.