How can we all get along? | Teen Ink

How can we all get along? MAG

October 8, 2023
By Matthew2024 BRONZE, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Matthew2024 BRONZE, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We hear the terms diversity and inclusion all the time, but let’s talk about what those words really mean. According to Websters Dictionary, diversity means “the condition of having or being composed of differing elements” — different, and inclusion is defined as “the act of including.” 

Often, we think these differences mean things like the color of our skin and our gender — physical characteristics. However, diversity is so much more. It encompasses our experiences, our backgrounds, our culture, our religions, our skills, our education, our opinions, and so much more. All our characteristics make us who we are. We are all unique and different with various views, ideas, values, and thoughts.

Unique and better together

Bringing our different knowledge, perspectives, and points of view makes each of us and everything we do better. Together, we are more intelligent, creative, and innovative because we bring all our strengths together. We learn from each other and share our experiences. If everyone was exactly the same and had the same experiences, we would never learn anything. We all would only know a finite number of things limited to what we already know. Luckily, no two people are the same and we can learn so much from each other if we are only open to it. 

One example where this is so important is in sports. Every player brings different skills to the team. Think about lacrosse — if everyone was an offensive player, the score would be crazy high and players would just be running up and down the field. If everyone played defense, no one would ever score, and determining a winner would be impossible. A team that fosters a welcoming and diverse group with a common goal of working together to win is the most successful.

Where do we start?

· Ask questions and listen

· Be open to learning from others

· Combat stereotypes

· Avoid assumptions

· Be mindful

· Be open to changing your perspective

· Share experiences

· Bring our skills and talents together


So now what?

This is where the inclusion comes in. We must actively include others. We must seek to understand and respect those who are different than us. Celebrating our differences and including others in our lives will help to build a better, more inclusive world.

In younger generations, and teens especially, this is so incredibly important. Creating an inclusive and diverse community regardless of size, means respecting all views, valuing everyone’s opinion, challenging our own ideas, and providing an environment where everyone’s perspective is valued and heard. A place where everyone can flourish, and everyone can share their opinions while being respected by others is needed through all aspects of life. Only then is success possible.