The Day COVID 19 Took A Toll. | Teen Ink

The Day COVID 19 Took A Toll.

By Ranique SILVER, New York, New York
Ranique SILVER, New York, New York

I- I don't even know what to say. It was just a regular day of school, doing the same old work. It was the end of the day, and a teacher came in and gave a speech. Now I know something is wrong. He says will be out of school for 2 weeks due to the coronavirus and we will return. I was shocked but more happy and excited because we don't get a 2-week break in March all of a sudden. Everyone is so happy, but little did we even pay attention that this break is to stay indoors and safe. I left school that day thinking I was gonna have the best two weeks. Within those two weeks, I lost count to where I didn't know if it was 2 days or 2 weeks. I worked on my packet every morning and finished it early. I see my mom on the phone, the call sounds important. "Hey, ma who's that?" " Your school said they want to keep you, kids, out of school because the virus is getting worse". I didn't hear a word. I froze. I was shocked. Her words didn't mean anything to me until I went on social media and saw everyone in quarantine. One month in Lockdown. Stores closed. Everywhere was locked down. I was breathing heavily. I punched a wall. I didn't want to. I screamed, but I didn't want to. I paced up and down the stairs and threw down books, but I didn't want to. I lost it.