Political Polarization is Harming Our Youth | Teen Ink

Political Polarization is Harming Our Youth

June 30, 2023
By RizwanKhan13 BRONZE, Plano, Texas
RizwanKhan13 BRONZE, Plano, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Youth voter turnout has historically been low. In the 2022 midterms elections, only 23% of those aged 18-29 voted nationwide. Gen-Z is generally marked by a keen sense of social awareness and a tendency to loudly voice opinions, and one would think that this outspoken and conscious nature would lend itself to civic participation. Instead, the opposite seems to be true. Gen-Z is falling out of favor with politics. Why is this? The reality is that political polarization has dangerously turned the youth away from our democratic system, a problem that could, unfortunately, result in a national sentiment of bitterness and over-individuality. 

The Problem

A glaring example of the effects of political polarization can be found in the issue of school shootings. Even though the majority of teens in the United States are fearful of a school shooting happening, there has still been little effective action congressionally to address this issue. For example, after the devastating school shooting in Nashville back in March, our Congressional leaders spent more time bickering and name-calling, wasting time that should have been spent collaboratively working to come up with solutions. Republicans like Senator Ted Cruz of Texas blasted Democratic senators for blocking measures that would increase law enforcement and funding to school districts to amp up security. Meanwhile, Democrats like Representative Jamaal Bowman of New York called Republicans “cowards” for their lack of action against gun violence. It feels like the bulk of partisan discourse has turned into a petty blame game more focused on re-election prospects than actual problem-solving. For ourselves and many other teens, this sort of dialogue from both sides transforms our eagerness to make a difference into a sense of hopelessness for our nation’s political future. This helplessness caused by polarization can lead to many problems for our youth. For one, it could lead to increased stress and mental health problems as teens begin to worry about the nation’s political health. Alienation from opposing political ideologies is another pressing issue that polarization could create, one that we have already started to see the effects of.  Political leaning has become a divisive factor for many teens, rendering them unable to hold civil conversations about politics, reluctant to consider differing perspectives, and even unwilling to become friends with someone who holds differing political opinions. This alienation and polarization could set a dangerous precedent, as a society should be working together towards a common goal, not against each other and for partisan self-interests. As global tensions rise, this divisiveness within our nation is a recipe for disaster. 

The Solution

Fortunately, there is a way that we can all slow polarization’s rapid spread among our youth. It comes in the form of a philosophy that can be boiled down to just 3 simple words…  Just Be Civil. While this may seem overly optimistic and somewhat simplistic, fostering a civil culture of respect for different opinions and perspectives serves as a powerful ward against polarization. Promoting level-headed and civil discourse from those across the political spectrum allows us to maintain our own distinct political identities while still productively working toward solutions. The key of these discussions is to not persuade one to switch to the other side of a political aisle, but rather to promote civility and hope for future generations. Only by establishing a political culture that acknowledges and values differing beliefs can we succeed as a nation with a political system that values listening to one another and promoting democracy over tyranny. Even if these discussions decrease polarization by a modicum degree, they are still an immense factor into fostering a future of America that is united in progress and not divided by beliefs.


The author's comments:

My name is Rizwan Khan and I am the founder and executive director of a nationwide non-profit called Politics For Teens that works to bridge the partisan divide by encouraging discourse over strife.