The Dark Side Of The Coin | Teen Ink

The Dark Side Of The Coin

By aoywech BRONZE, Fitchburg, Massachusetts
aoywech BRONZE, Fitchburg, Massachusetts

I am always looking to better myself; I demand nothing less from our society.

The Dark Side Of The Coin

As I walk the fine line between constructive criticism and disapproval, I find it all too necessary that we, as chaperones of the works inherited from our founding fathers, ponder the grounds upon which our constitution was founded. Despite how important it is that we recognize the accolades and accomplishments of our founding fathers, we must also digest the reality of their faults in relation to their character and fundamental beliefs.
     Refer to John Adams, who was opposed to slavery and injustice against African Americans throughout the composition of our Bill of Rights. As the prior may be, when given the power and jurisdiction entitled to him upon his presidency, Adam's did not dare disturb the peace, which proved favorable to himself. It was Adams' policy to "uphold" the neutral nature of his predecessor (George Washington). To my peers, I ask, what did his silence and neutrality accomplish but the perpetuated suffering of my people? As it becomes increasingly difficult to revise meanings established within our constitution to abide by the modes of modern life, we must look for new solutions. We must no longer harbor dissatisfaction towards this broken system, for our founding fathers were faulted even in their own time.
     I do not believe it was the goal of our forefathers that we refrain from expansion, as they found themselves in pursuit of a "more perfect union" as well. How must we regard such sacred words as those in our constitution? Are they to be fossilized into a monotone key and revered in its unchanged state, or shall they become impermanent notes in this unfinished symphony we call America? We must not loathe an institution that we are unwilling to annotate. For this reason, I look to the words of our founding fathers not as the concrete pillars of society that they are perceived to be but as a blueprint for an acropolis, a haven for an ever-changing perception of democracy.
     Refer to George Washington, a vocal advocate for the "gradual emancipation" of enslaved African Americans. It is a great mystery to the beholder of this great contradiction that Washington himself harbored slaves. It is a recurrent upholding of the underlying motive behind our founding fathers' populist ways. It is far easier to vocally condemn injustice than to act against a policy that provides monetary and fundamental benefits to oneself. Shall we overlook these imperfections, for they ring as true as the words that they proclaimed in our constitution? It is not to the discredit of their work that I criticize the character of our forefathers. But know that I judge not on the mere basis of a good policy. It is imperative to criticize the lesser-taught content of character and the principles held by our founding fathers.
     Despite the veritable sorrow I find in our nation's stagnant state, I look to the next 400 years with ambition. It is my hope that, with a new generation, we will rectify the previously dismissed mistakes of our forefathers. We must enshrine for all the life and liberty promised to all but administered to few.

As a young African American, I find it necessary that we hold our our founding fathers accountable. Though I regard their accomplishments with reverence, their faults have resulted in the marginalization of many. This article calls upon members of all younger generations to sow change in our nation.