The Political Divide vs. the Vote | Teen Ink

The Political Divide vs. the Vote

By egrefsrud BRONZE, Granada Hills, California
egrefsrud BRONZE, Granada Hills, California

“Are you a Democrat or a Republican?” is a question you’ve certainly been asked many times before. In American society, there is a deep rooted pressure to assign yourself to a political party as the two-party system is a defining characteristic in American politics. While other parties do exist and run, such as the Libertarian and Green party, their support is merely a fraction of the popularity of major parties such as Republicans and Democrats. The almost monopolistic hold these two parties have over American elections has created an increasingly polarizing environment that discourages new voters from participating. In the 2020 presidential election, just 48% of eligible people between ages 18 and 25 voted, nearly 6% underneath the next lowest age group (census.gov), but it is not laziness or carelessness that is causing this drop in voter turnout. The causes of this lack of participation is due more to the daunting political environment that society has created. The limited choice of major political parties is a potent deterrent to young adults looking to vote.

One reason young adults are discouraged from voting is the lack of choices presented to them. The two-party system limits the range of political opinions that can be represented, and young adults may feel that neither party truly represents their views. As reporter Christopher Ingraham stated, “62 percent of Americans [are] saying Democrats and Republicans are doing such a poor job of representing their constituents that a third party is needed.” (The Washington Post). But, because these third parties have such minimal support,“many feel disengaged and deflated, with only 32 percent saying they are “almost certain” to vote in November, according to the poll. Nearly half said they did not think their vote made a difference”(New York Times). As a teenager myself who is just a year away from being able to vote, I understand this perspective greatly. While every vote matters, it is hard to see when it seems like the same two parties will always win. But, as the new voters of today, we must take this as motivation: if every one of us begins to register and vote, these smaller parties can slowly grow and stand a chance against these political giants. 

The divided two-party system discourages young adults from voting by limiting their choices. As a society, we must work to create a more inclusive and engaging political environment that encourages young adults to participate in the democratic process. The intimidating system we have now is not sustainable for a future United States that will keep the needs of the people in mind. The time is now to take action and vote.

This piece was inspired by my friends turning 18 and having dilemmas about voting.