How to Talk Politics at Sunday Dinner | Teen Ink

How to Talk Politics at Sunday Dinner

By kmonts BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
kmonts BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

Politics. An eight-letter word that is a cardinal sin at any family gathering.

I rarely discuss any political situation with anyone, especially not with family members.

Because the conversation usually results in raised voices and finger-pointed arguments.

The purpose behind the animosity is that we hold our political stances very closely to our social identity. Our social identity plays a critical role in shaping our ideological learnings which influences our political beliefs and the way we process information. Identity-protective cognition is a crucial factor, as it is when individuals use their preexisting beliefs to help influence and guide not only political decision-making but also their attitude toward issues.

Conversations surrounding politics are often avoided not because they are inherently offensive and uncomfortable, but because our political beliefs are deeply intertwined with our social and personal identities. As a result, we dismiss the conversation altogether rather than having our beliefs challenged and invalidated.

Social identity, which is everything that makes you who you are, significantly impacts not only our political beliefs but our attitudes toward certain issues. Milenko Martinovich wrote an article titled "Americans' Partisan Identities are Stronger Than Race and Ethnicity” highlighting the issue surrounding identity and politics across Americans. He states, “Because support for a political party is a deliberate decision for an individual, it’s viewed as a choice that more accurately reflects who that person truly is.” We as individuals align ourselves so closely with our political parties and our political identities because it is the one thing that we have full choice over.

We have no choice within the family we are born into, our race, our biological sex, I mean the list goes on.

But the one thing we get to choose is what and who we believe in.

The power of choice holds much more importance than we think as it represents our freedom and self-determination. Having the ability to make choices, also comes with the responsibility of taking ownership of both the good and bad things that may come as a result of the choices made.

Identity-protective cognition is a phenomenon. But this phenomenon has had significant implications within our democracy. This phenomenon has led to tribalism, which is where people divide themselves based on their social identities, leaving little to no empathy or understanding for those holding opposing beliefs.

Hence why any political conversation goes from talking to yelling in a matter of seconds.

“We are living during the most prosperous era ever. Yet, paradoxically, numerous politicians and voters are fighting tooth and nail while seemingly set on identifying mainly problems and differences.” Mark Brolin wrote in an article titled “How to Overcome Tribalism, the Shouty Minority, and Facebook Toxicity.”

The tendency of shifting our focus to the differences and problems rather than the common ground stems from the fact that our political views have a direct correlation with our personal experiences, beliefs, and values.

However, it is crucial that we continue to have these political discussions with our peers as they not only help us to gain insight into diverse and unique perspectives. And having these conversations can often be a catalyst for social progression and change.

If we take the time to recognize the paradox between the political and identity situation, we can work toward a more constructive and serene political dialogue. So the next time you are at a dinner and someone brings up politics, try to view it as a personal challenge for growth.
And instead of viewing differences regarding politics as "you vs them," rather it's ultimately "you vs yourself." Your identity is not diminished by the opposing views of others.