Why should we make social media safer for young people? | Teen Ink

Why should we make social media safer for young people?

January 20, 2023
By CamilaBG1 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
CamilaBG1 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you were born to be real, not to be perfect"-unknown


I was 12  in 6th grade trying to fit in with my friends and everyone around me.Everyone had a type of social media and I didnt want to be the only one left out. I got the instagram and snap blocked my parents and sibling from seeing my account because they wouldn't agree with me having  any type of social media at a young age.It was not a good idea because I would followers that I didn't know and strangers sometime texting.I never replied nor accept request of people I didn't know because you never know what would happen.


When I think of preteens having anytype of social media, I see those kids being able  to talk to strangers. There might be a high chance of them talking to predators online at a young age. Preteens sometimes dont know better about the danger of talking to strangers online and how it could affect them. As a young age we were thought to not interact with strangers but we may just think strangers in person. Nicole Fabian-Weber in care.com says “ ..Internet predators are predators that groom. They cultivate relationships with a child online and then have the child come to them…".That's something that we need to prevent from happening to young people.


Social media is a horrible thing  for young people to start at a very young age. Many social media app have there age restriction to 13.But it doesn't really verify the teens age so the preteen are lying about their age to be able to use the social media app at a young age, sometimes that age is lower than 11.Which means I feel social media app need to work hard to being able to verify the teens age.But not only verify young people age but everyone because older people could be lying about their age to be able to talk to older people.


9.95% of tweens and 20.54 of teens encountered predatory behaviors from someone online. Those statistics shouldn't even exist in the first place even if they're slow. Tween or teens should be exposed to predators at a young age or in any age matter fact.social media need to help young people be safe from predators. 


As young people get older, they start to realize that social media could have exposed them to a lot of predatory behavior. When they were younger they never thought about those types of people online. They think that they just want to be friends with them so  they keep talking to predators without knowing. So that means that they were groom at a young age. Which would affect them in bad ways.


We could convince  the people who create the social media apps to add an update that could help verify their age or even up the age to use social media. Social media could be safer if they made sure everyone age so there no predators online. Upping the age to a mature age could help because they would be aware of everything they could be exposed to. So we should make social media safe for teenagers and younger than teenagers.