Meaning | Teen Ink

Meaning

By 4mcarthur GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
4mcarthur GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

It hangs in every classroom, outside schools, in neighborhoods, and outside buildings. It comes in many sizes, big enough to hang on display from a crane, and small enough to fit in a pocket, hold in a hand. They are proudly displayed everywhere, showing respect to our country. Do we really know what it stands for?

Fifty white stars, one for each state, all included and represented the same. They are symbols of achievement, symbols of unity. The blue, known for representing justice, vigilance, and perseverance, all traits of the soldiers who devote their lives to our country. 

Thirteen stripes, seven of them red, and six white. One stripe represents an original colony. It shows where we’ve come from in history, where we started, to who we have grown to be today.

White, for the purity and innocence of our nation. Sometimes lost between violent acts, hate crimes, protests, and political wars, innocence comes from the young people of this country. It comes from the people who strive for a good cause, those who are in touch with their humanity, and those who show compassion. 

Seven red stripes showing the hardiness of the people who fight to protect us, their selflessness and brave hearts. It shows the valor of the soldier rushing to the side of her wounded companion, and how she still has the strength to keep going. 

The flag stands for many things, but it boils down to simply this: the liveliness and motivation of the American people.