Roe vs. Wade | Teen Ink

Roe vs. Wade

By laurenjez BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
laurenjez BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

Roe v. Morals.

If men could get pregnant, there would be an abortion clinic at the end of every street corner. The idea that abortions could be taken away from the women of America is unfathomable. It is clear that the government is trying to exert power upon the women of America, and essentially take control over women through religion and their own beliefs. And it is a fundamental right to have an abortion.

Recently, Roe v. Wade and the possibility of it being overturned have shaken all of America no matter your viewpoint, especially women. And the disappointing thing is, that people are not educated enough to fully encompass the reasoning behind abortion, and why women are allowed to get one if they wish. This is because of the ignorance and political arrogance and exertion of men with power in our government. Therefore, I will preface my point by making it clear that pregnancies are tremendously more dangerous than abortions. NHS, a health-based website in England makes it clear that abortions are safe, stating, “Abortion is a safe procedure. Abortions are safest, and happen with less pain and bleeding when carried out as early as possible in pregnancy.” Now although many countries allow abortion for up to a number of weeks, America wants to ban them altogether, along with the pill Plan B, and Louisiana wants to completely outlaw IUD, an intrauterine device, which is a contraceptive.

Some people may not be able to fully comprehend how dangerous pregnancy really is, according to Roosa Tikkanen et. al, professes, “In 2018, there were 17 maternal deaths for every 100,000 live births in the U.S. — a ratio more than double that of most other high-income countries.” This proves that banning abortions would not benefit anyone, and it is still truly a mystery as to the real reason behind banning them.

If it is any consolation, Connecticut will be upholding the rights of women and will remain a safe haven for women traveling to get abortions. Joe Hernandez and Jennifer Ahrens published in the Connecticut Public, “Lawmakers in Connecticut have approved a bill that would expand the types of medical professionals who can provide abortion services in the state and shield residents from facing penalties under other states anti-abortion laws.” What an incredible relief, although the travel up to Connecticut may be far for some, it provides protection, and reassurance that women will be able to maintain their human rights. As a solution, I believe that we should allow women to have control over their own bodies, rather than political opinions infringing on our rights.

Works Cited

Hernandez, Joe, and Jennifer Ahrens. “Connecticut looks to expand abortion rights in response to out-of-state restrictions.” Connecticut Public, 2 May 2022, ctpublic.org/news/2022-05-02/connecticut-looks-to-expand-abortion-rights-in-response-to-out-of-state-restrictions. Accessed 9 May 2022.

“Maternal Mortality Maternity Care US Compared 10 Other Countries.” Commonwealth Fund, 18 November 2020, commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2020/nov/maternal-mortality-maternity-care-us-compared-10-countries. Accessed 9 May 2022.

Tikkanen, Roosa, et al. “Abortion.” NHS, nhs.uk/conditions/abortion/. Accessed 9 May 2022.

Roe vs. Wade has taken our country by storm