Why America should strive to be energy independent! | Teen Ink

Why America should strive to be energy independent!

By John_Mapes BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
John_Mapes BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Why Here’s a fun fact, the U.S. national average for regular gas prices is $4.25 per gallon? In many states it even exceeds six or even seven dollars per gallon. But how did the U.S. get here when just a year ago it was $2.86? There are many factors ranging from the ban on Russian oil imports, to the unusable oil drilling leases. But one factor that made the effects of the previous ones worse is America’s dependence on outside sources for oil. Between the Keystone Pipeline, approving oil leases, and maybe stop pushing wind and solar so hard, and start going nuclear, America will become energy independent once more.

Out of the 19,687,287 barrels of oil consumed in America every day, Forty percent of that is imported. So what can we do to fix that? Well for one, restart construction of the Keystone Pipeline. The Keystone Pipeline is a pipeline running through the U.S. and Canada that transports Oil. On the Biden Administrations very first day in office, they shut down construction of the Keystone Pipeline. But why? Well they’re explanation was that it would help the environment. But I don’t see how Oil in a pipe that also has sensors allowing easy capability to fix spills and leaks is more dangerous than being transported in a truck that is mobile, and therefore has the ability to get into an accident causing oil spills. I think it’s safe to say that the Keystone Pipeline would be a much safer option than using previous methods of transportation. The next thing to note is unusable oil drilling leases.

The Biden Administration has over 9,000 unused leases for oil drilling. However, those leases are unusable if agreements can’t be made between the oil companies and the government. The administration has also announced that they will be permanently delaying oil drilling on federal land. Although on the bright side, a recent court ruling has said that what the administration calls the “social cost of carbon” can’t be used to stop the drilling of oil. One last thing America should consider to become more energy independent is to stop trying to push wind and solar so hard and start looking towards nuclear energy!

Finally, wind and solar aren’t exactly feasible options when it comes to reliable energy sources. Sure, they don’t make as much waste or byproduct when in use, but the rare metals needed to build these options already require vast amounts of energy to be dug up in the first place. Not to mention the most glaringly obvious flaw in both these options, the wind doesn’t always blow, and the sun doesn’t always shine. So if we want a clean environment, then how about we stop idolizing these options so much, and look to nuclear power plants. A lot of people are against nuclear energy because of incidents like Chernobyl and Fukushima, but remember that these power plants were caused by poor maintenance and major design flaws that most, if not all, nuclear power plants shouldn’t have. Also certain isotopes of elements like plutonium should have far less radioactive byproducts than uranium and other radioactive elements do.

In conclusion, if America wants to thrive as a country, they’re going to have to learn to be energy independent, and that starts by looking to increase their energy production by, restarting the construction of the Keystone Pipeline, approving and allowing oil drilling and their leases, and maybe start looking towards nuclear energy if they’re so worried about the environment. So if America wants these things, then the government should adhere. And that is why gas at the pump can cost up to seven dollars in America. So in the words of Michael Stevens, “And as always, Thanks for watching.”

Sources:

WorldOMeter / EIA 3/31/22

AAA 3/31/22

John Rigolizzo at The DailyWire 3/19/22