Critical Race Theory; Origins and Current Political Conflicts | Teen Ink

Critical Race Theory; Origins and Current Political Conflicts

April 22, 2022
By lucyyan BRONZE, Penn Valley, Pennsylvania
lucyyan BRONZE, Penn Valley, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Critical Race Theory; Origins and Current Political Conflicts

Originating as an outlet for intrigued members of the legal field, and metamorphosing into a hotly debated social justice topic, Critical Race Theory is an academic framework that describes the past and present of the US and identifies ways that racial inequity has become intrinsic in our institutions. Focusing on systemic racism and examining the nation’s history through a different lens, the study is utilized in order to delve into the institutionalized biases that have become widespread in the US. 

ORIGIN

CRT originally coalesced in the 1970s after scholars in the legal field took an interest in the motivation behind the slowing of the Civil Rights Movement, and persistence of racial inequality despite the landmark achievements in recent years. Influenced by the compositions of Derrick Bell, Alan Freeman, Kimberlé Crenshaw (an intersectional feminist), Richard Delgado, Cheryl Harris, Charles R. Lawrence III, Mari Matsuda, and Patricia J. Williams, Critical Race Theory became a pioneer in high level Racial Studies. Prior to its emergence, CLS or critical legal studies, was a rough precursor to the theory which concentrated on the relationship between law based institutions and serving the wealthy and privileged while simultaneously exacerbating the poor and marginalized. 

Contemporary Issues

Recently, mainstream media journals have shed light on certain conservative members of the US Legislature, who are pushing for the eradication of Race talk at school entirely, have made the overtly problematic claim that CRT is divisive and promotes the “vilification of white people” and forces them to apologize. The declaration is initially wrong on a definitive level due to the scholarly motivation of the theory, the subject being not simply the discussion of race. The fallacy also remains a falsehood from a moral standpoint as the huge dearth of POC history in America will continue to be perpetuated instead of rectified if Critical Race Theory, a misused term in this context, is mass-prohibited in K-12 classrooms. The dichotomy between political parties, sides of gender issues, and countless other thought-provoking issues could increase and the antagonism could stretch into a chasm of ignorance and misinterpretation. The outcome of future generations will be potentially influenced by the sway of votes for certain laws, and if CRT were mass-prohibited, our country’s progressive state would be demolished and replaced by an insular group of racially unaware young people, distorting factual evidence and jeopardizing children’s education. In addition, increased oppression and systemic racial issues would be imminent. Despite every aspect of this being extremely counterintuitive, attempts and unfortunate strides have been made, 21 states have implemented laws that restrict if not outright banned discussion of Critical Race Theory, or in their racially motivated terms, the discussion of race at all.

Passed in June of 2021, Texas House Bill 3979 states, “Teachers must explore topics from multiple perspectives, without favoring any one specifically.” This is completely problematic in many ways, both politically offensive and ethically concerning, there are a plethora of instances where this approach would be incredibly damaging to youth. Particularly, the Holocaust, Chinese Exclusion Act, American Slavery, Trail of Tears, and the Japanese concentration camps. In light of the recent endeavors, conservative handling of racial issues is ineffective, most likely rooted in the parochial ideologies that have been provoked by the politically charged conflicts on bias on dozens of issues, along with Trump’s fallacious propaganda, and the common manipulation of lower classes based on the stereotype of their gullibility. The concept of understanding the deep institutionalized racism in this country and how it affects modern day fields such as the criminal justice system, the economic status of the nation, and even university admissions, is extremely promising and contrary to Texas governor Greg Abbott, would be a positive and progressive addition to public school systems. Former redlining, anti-asian exclusion, pedagogical setbacks due to standardized testing, and Jim Crow laws all influence the current state of pervasive racism throughout the country’s institutions, but widespread understanding of the genesis of these issues proves to be a remedy for the worsening issue. 


The author's comments:

Hi! I'm Lucy, a rising 9th grader as well as an ardent advocate for anti-racism, intersectional feminism, and the reformation of the criminal justice system. The idea behind Critical Race Theory; Origins and Current Political Conflicts was created after a fervid and controversial discussion with a teacher with whom my ideologies clashed with. This dichotomy sent me into an intense research session into Critical Race Theory's genesis as well as philosophical ideas and obviously the current debate in the legislative branch. I aspire to incite a personal analysis in the readers of the article so they can educate themselves further on both CRT as well as the countless other schools of thought in politics and sociology.