Galactic Hegemony or Complete Farce? | Teen Ink

Galactic Hegemony or Complete Farce?

May 5, 2021
By EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
EthanAC GOLD, Jericho, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell


Space is one of the final non-militarized areas of the universe. As space-based technology continues to develop, America finds its dominance in space increasingly harder to maintain as foreign nations are beginning to launch competing space programs. Even though some claim the United States should not militarize space, creating a Space Force is the only way to stay ahead of America’s competitors and fully ensure the safety of the nation.

China and Russia have their own space commands while the US space forces are spread across multiple branches of the military, which makes it difficult for specific missions to be carried out efficiently. With their own space forces, China and Russia have the capability to send their own astronauts or soldiers to space while the US has to utilize Russian rockets to get to space, especially since space shuttles were retired. Also, with thousands of US satellites orbiting the Earth, any adversary could easily knock a satellite out, crippling missile defense and GPS systems. Without missile defense and GPS, America’s national defense and economy would be devastated.

The Space Force opens up opportunities for more private involvement in space. Instead of developing technologies for different military branches, companies should focus on producing technologies exclusively for one bureaucracy. Companies such as SpaceX and Boeing are creating revolutionary new space technologies, and the best place for these technologies to be useful is in the Space Force. Also, as space tourism opportunities begin to open up, American citizens need to be protected and international space laws need to be regulated. As the smallest branch of the military, Space Force personnel are operating limited spacecraft built and contracted by private companies unavailable to the public and law enforcement.

Even though the Space Force is not without its opponents, its creation points to America’s future and general space warfare. With other nations gaining traction in space, the US needs to create and maintain a space force capable of preventing space terrorism and keeping peace in the unregulated region of space. The creation of the Space Force presents the most efficient method for unifying the decentralized and inefficient space legions of the Army, Air Force, and Navy into a central command.