Congress: The Soap Opera Continues

America has become a hostage of our congress--of the party squabbles and the blame game. These people aren’t even acting like statesmen anymore. They remind me of a relationship on a soap opera. Let’s call the Republicans Randy and the Democrats Dianne.

Randy and Dianne have some major problems. Each of them is fighting for control while avoiding owning up to their mistakes. The ironic thing is that the soap operas actually turn out better. Sure, Randy is a little self-destructive and Dianne is a bit narcissistic, but they have to work together to solve the problems in front of them.

Randy did act rashly. He made some bad choices; he got himself in a fight he couldn’t win. However, in all fairness, Dianne objected feebly. Now she blames him for what’s going on and wants to shut him out of their decisions. Hurt by this, Randy has taken to complaining loudly, only making Diane angrier.

If Randy could just apologize and take some responsibility it could be over. If Dianne would stop being so smug about being right maybe something would change. However, Randy is proud and Dianne is stubborn.

In a soap opera they would have an epiphany and then come running back to each other. This is because viewers like happy endings. However, Congress is no longer working to please audiences. Why? It may be because our congressmen can’t be taken off the air for another two years. Sadly for Randy and Dianne and their viewers, their show only runs on CSPAN and a happy ending may never come.

They are running out of money and don’t know what to do. They are deeply in debt. Dianne is still trying to send Randy on guilt trips and Randy is still arrogantly accusing Dianne of being the cause of the problem. Well I have a news flash for them: it is both of your faults. Until the Democrats and Republicans can grow up and behave like statesmen instead of teenagers, things will not improve much.

Will Randy overcome his own pride? Will Dianne learn to let it go? America had better not forget to TIVO the next exciting episode.

rhonda said...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 6:23 am
This is especially relevant after what we've seen these past few days... a deal that was all show and posturing and basically maintains the stalemate.

Bob said...
Jun. 5, 2009 at 5:01 am
Great comparison.

It's as though people have lost their ability to listen to each other.

geri said...
This is very clever! Congress often does seem like a soap opera.