Op-Ed: Hong Kong fights for freedom, A David v Goliath story. | Teen Ink

Op-Ed: Hong Kong fights for freedom, A David v Goliath story.

January 17, 2020
By Phl.RamilJr SILVER, Sacramento, California
Phl.RamilJr SILVER, Sacramento, California
5 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
You miss 100% of the shot you don't take


History is repeating itself right before our eyes. In the eastern part of the world there’s tension brewing between China and Hong Kong. China has one of the biggest economy in the whole world; It also has the biggest military in the world with 2,183,000 active military personnel. Hong Kong is an administrative region of China, which means they are a territory of China; But Hong Kong still operates like its own independent country.


The U.N have been ignoring China’s bullying against its neighboring country that can’t defend itself against China. China’s President, President Xi Jinping, is another communist leader that wants to control the whole world. If the UN doesn’t interfere then I’m certain that after China is done with Hong Kong it will start invading other small neighboring country just like Germany pre WW2.


According to the article in the Miami Herald written by former gov. Rick Scott China are using tactics that violates the human rights of the people of Hong Kong. Rick Scott states “I heard stories--horrible and frightening stories of the police brutality, threats against individuals and their families mysterious disappearances”. The Chinese government are using shady tactics to stop the protestors from fighting for what’s just.


Some people might say that if the UN interfere, then China would think of it as an act of aggression towards them and start another world war. But I think if a country like U.S, England, France, and Japan tell China to stop then they will be forced to stop since a war with other world powers will not just be a losing battle but also a  costly one. 


We need to wake up put our foot down and start taking action against China. The people of Hong Kong needs our support to fight back against the communist China. Hong Kong might be small but with our help they have more than a fighting chance against the giant of a country China.


The author's comments:

Very determined.